10W-50 for Harleys?

I've done some searching and can't find much. Is anyone using a 10W-50 for any Harley engines? For example, the Redline 10W-50's (Auto and Powersports) provide similar 100C viscosity, lower 40C viscosity, better VI, and similar NOACK as the 15W-50 and 20W-50 versions. The HTHS of Auto is 5.0 (lower than 15W-50 and 20W-50 by about 1 point). I asked about the Powersports HTHS and am waiting for a response but I'm guessing it's about 5.0 also. The HTHS of 5.0 seems like enough for an engine. The specs seem better for cool starts all the way to running temp, with the possible exception of HTHS, if 5.0 is too low. Any thoughts?

An HTHS of 5.0 is probably average or better for a 10W- or 15W-50. High-VI oils will thin out more when shear rates are higher than those used for the HTHS measurement. Oil at the cams and piston rings will experience these higher shear rates, and as a result, a 10W-50 will be thinner than a 15- or 20W-50 of equal HTHS and will provide less protection for these parts of the engine. The high-VI oil will experience more permanent shear as well.

Unless you are starting the engine in temperatures well below freezing, a 20W will flow just fine. There's no good reason to use high-VI oils in a motorcycle aside from fuel economy.

An HTHS of 5.0 is probably average or better for a 10W- or 15W-50. High-VI oils will thin out more when shear rates are higher than those used for the HTHS measurement. Oil at the cams and piston rings will experience these higher shear rates, and as a result, a 10W-50 will be thinner than a 15- or 20W-50 of equal HTHS and will provide less protection for these parts of the engine. The high-VI oil will experience more permanent shear as well.

Unless you are starting the engine in temperatures well below freezing, a 20W will flow just fine. There's no good reason to use high-VI oils in a motorcycle aside from fuel economy.
The 10W-50 versions of Redline both have a significantly higher VI of 183, versus the 15W-50 and 20W-50 versions which fall between 155 and 162. No magic bullet I suppose. I was looking for better flow at start-up and maybe a bit better fuel economy. The usual ambient temperatures at start-up, and while running, will be 50F - 95F.

Dont drive yourself crazy with better flow,,,,my ancient 96 Sportster does just fine on 20w50 Mobil syn. oil,,,never an issue,,

You do ride in slightly cooler weather so I dont see it as a detriment but I would question why?
I cant give an answer to something that is beyond my interest and expertise... but in this case, why not simple Mobil 1 15/50 then?
Many use it in their Harleys, I have tried it, not sure if it was my imagination but thought the engine sounded a little more noisy which would be sometimes with a full synthetic, one thing for sure the wear numbers were outstanding with the Mobil 1.
I have them posted in this forum... would have to go back 2 or 3 years. Even though they are better I still went back to my 15/50 semi syn. JT8
I may, for the fun of it try the Mobil once again, when I use up what I have now. The reason being of all times I used an aftermarket oil filter with the Mobil 1 so not sure if that had anything to do with whatever *LOL*

Here you go, I found it for you.

2x My '01 twin cam has been going along just fine on M1. No need for expensive boutique engine oil. I do run Redline Heavy Shockproof in its 5-speed trans. though. A little less clunky with it.

I think I just perform this exercise every few years and end up with a similar result basically. Always chasing "the perfect oil". I had a bad experience once with a Mobil product in my 1996 Sportster and I've been mainly sticking with Amsoil or Redline since. I did buy a ton of VP Racing 15W-50 a long while back when they discontinued the line. Since then, pretty exclusively Amsoil or Redline. I used to notice an increase in idle RPM on my carbureted bikes with Redline after using other brands. I don't mind the cost too much since I perform one oil change per year on all the bikes.

You do ride in slightly cooler weather so I dont see it as a detriment but I would question why?
I cant give an answer to something that is beyond my interest and expertise... but in this case, why not simple Mobil 1 15/50 then?
Many use it in their Harleys, I have tried it, not sure if it was my imagination but thought the engine sounded a little more noisy which would be sometimes with a full synthetic, one thing for sure the wear numbers were outstanding with the Mobil 1.
I have them posted in this forum... would have to go back 2 or 3 years. Even though they are better I still went back to my 15/50 semi syn. JT8
I may, for the fun of it try the Mobil once again, when I use up what I have now. The reason being of all times I used an aftermarket oil filter with the Mobil 1 so not sure if that had anything to do with whatever *LOL*

Here you go, I found it for you.
Nice wear numbers....

Back in the day I bought a 2004 RKC new. Eventually it got an S&S 124" HC engine. For some reason I "chose" Belray EXS 10W50 for it. Never had any problems with the oil or the engine.

I sold the bike in 2007 and have been using Valvoline VR1 20W50 mineral in my every Evo and Twin Cam Harley ever since. Never a problem.

Basically these would run on any 20W50, 15W50, 10W50...

have been using Valvoline VR1 20W50 mineral in my every Evo and Twin Cam Harley ever since. Never a problem.

Basically these would run on any 20W50, 15W50, 10W50...
Who knew…….“ I have a brother from another mother “….and he lives in Finland! :cool:

Thanks for those details. Stick to a 50 Visc. & always use a motorcycle oil if the oil is used for the transmission too. 20w-50 is the standard for air cooled motorcycles. Amsoil even has a full synthetic version of 20w-50 if you want to go that route. 15w-50 or 20w-50 would be my recommendation for your cycle. Missouri just passed a law that allows no helmets anymore. Stay safe out there.

Harley recommends 10 w 40 weight oil for winter use, when the air temp is under 40 f. It says it in your owners manual. Being that Harley only recommends "their" oil, I don't see why any brand wouldn't perform as well.,,,

Nice wear numbers....
Yeah, glad you brought up this subject. Once done with the current gallons of JT8 I'm going to try the Mobil 15/50 again for fun.
But I agree with your other post too and understand you had issues. We all beat ourselves up over the subject but we all know it's whatever makes one happy. I certainly have tried many, many different oils on my metric bikes before the 2014 RK because the shared sump and shifting in hot weather. Some do make a difference but all seem to go south sooner or later in shared sumps.

Back