PCV catch can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a catch can for my PCV line, but I've hard alot of bad things about certain plastics and engine heat. I used a Powerade bottle and some galvanized steel pipe fittings that were laying around at work. No idea what kind of plastic the bottle is, but it had the number 1 inside of the recycling symbol, if that means anything.

Anyone see a problem with those choices?

You should have put the inlet AND outlet in the cap (or used a bulkhead fitting). Then you would have a chance to make a decent air tight seal (plus you could unscrew the bottle from the cap to empty it). What happens when you suck on the outlet while closing the inlet? Does the bottle collapse? It should if you're air tight.
Over all, I think a glass ice tea bottle would serve you better in the long run...

I planned on putting some JB Kwik around the holes to seal it after I got a second opinion on the materials. I'll probably put it in this weekend.

For under 20 bucks, you could make one out of a water separator for an air compressor. That and some hose and clamps and your in business.

Do a search its been talked about here. Pics too.

Why not use a $7.00 water oil separator found at every home improvement store? Worked for me.

Well, my powerade bottle was crushed by the vacuum, so I upgraded to a mason jar that I had laying around. I used brass air chucks to connect the vacuum lines, and JB weld to seal the threads. It holds up to the vacuum quite well, and it had some nasty oil-water mix laying in it after a nice long drive today. For free, I'm quite pleased.

It would be best to put the catch can collection into your used oil container for recycling.
If your kitchen sink goes into a septic tank, not only is down the drain not good for the environment, it is not good for the bacteria in the septic tank that is breaking down the sewage before it goes into the leach bed.

If it goes to the municipal sewer.....same for the bacteria in their system......and on into the water system that it drains into.

I DO like the idea of the larger catch can......a large container provides a larger "dead" air space....which is going to lead to a greater opportunity for the vapors to condense and settle into the bottom for collection.

I used a Greddy catch can, and a long run of vaccum hose.
Located the can away from the hot engine....and both vaccum lines have a down-hill slope to the catch can.
I do not get much in the catch can in the summer, but in the winter it gets a good bit.
I use Redline oil, which has a lower evaporation rate.
I have also noticed, since the catch can installation and the switch to Redline (2 changes at about the same time), that I now have no slight amount of oil coming out of the throttle body.
My particular engine has the PCV line come in real close to the throttle body....and is prone to have oil come out the throttle body.....just a small amount...but it was annoying.
Engine has always used very little oil.

Quote:

It would be best to put the catch can collection into your used oil container for recycling.
If your kitchen sink goes into a septic tank, not only is down the drain not good for the environment, it is not good for the bacteria in the septic tank that is breaking down the sewage before it goes into the leach bed.

If it goes to the municipal sewer.....same for the bacteria in their system......and on into the water system that it drains into.

I DO like the idea of the larger catch can......a large container provides a larger "dead" air space....which is going to lead to a greater opportunity for the vapors to condense and settle into the bottom for collection.

I used a Greddy catch can, and a long run of vaccum hose.
Located the can away from the hot engine....and both vaccum lines have a down-hill slope to the catch can.
I do not get much in the catch can in the summer, but in the winter it gets a good bit.
I use Redline oil, which has a lower evaporation rate.
I have also noticed, since the catch can installation and the switch to Redline (2 changes at about the same time), that I now have no slight amount of oil coming out of the throttle body.
My particular engine has the PCV line come in real close to the throttle body....and is prone to have oil come out the throttle body.....just a small amount...but it was annoying.
Engine has always used very little oil.

That's a good point. I'll just have to suck it up and wade through my messy garage to get to my can.

My jar is located near the passenger fender, with the hoses running downward. My PCV is also right next to the TB, and has that tendency to coat it in oil. You wouldn't happen to own a Nissan, now would you?

Here is mine, self draining as it has a spring loaded check valve that closes under vacuum. I keep the PCV system plugged to maintain a vacuum when running. It's located in the passenger fender well.

con-can-hanging-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back