How do you decide the correct weight oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you decide what weight oil is correct for your engine?

While I wouldn't call my engine, a "race" engine, it should produce 40%-45% more power than stock, so I don't feel that the factory oil recommendations still hold true.

I am still blue printing the engine and don't have the exact piston to cylinder wall clearance or rod oil clearance yet, I do know that my oil clearance for my mains are at .003" which puts them .0001" from the max listed in the factory manual.

My engine is a Toyota 22RE with ported head, header, larger T.B., larger but still mild ([email protected]" x .440") cam, etc.

Power should be around 40 hp per cylinder.

This is going into a 4x4 pickup that will see mostly street but some off road and boat towing.

I am trying to figure out what oil I should run for break in and what I should run after break in.

Thanks for your time.
Ken

Thank you for the response.

Is the 15w-40 a diesel engine oil like Delo or is there a 15w-40 for gas engines too?

Should I use 15w-40 for break in and the rest of the engines life?

The temp. around here, sometimes gets down in the teens but for the most part the winter/summer temp range 20's/80's with 50-60 being average.

Other then temp, what determines the weight I should use?

Thanks again.
Ken

I checked the oil clearance for my rod bearings and found that they have .0015" clearance. This is .0005" above the listed minimum.

As it stands right now my mains are at .003" (.0001" below max) and my rods are .0015" (.0005" above minimum)

Will 15w-40 be ok for this or should I try to find rod bearings that give .001" more clearance?

Thanks again
Ken

Thread hijack! In 1986 mom bought me a 1978 Toyota Pickup. The previous owner knew friends at Isky Cams (I think it was Isky?).

Anyway he claimed that the 20R put out 190hp to the rear wheels! Thing had a big 2bbl Holley carb, thorley header with 2.5 inch pipe and a few other things done to it.

It had a nasty idle too.

It had 4.35 gears and a 5-speed. The spider gears in the rear end were welded to the side gears.

I was into 1/4 mile drag racing and used to beat up 5.0 Mustangs and 350 powered Camaro's every weekend with it.

My friends would spy a new victim in his Mustang or Camaro and immediatly ask him if he wanted to race a Toyota pickup.

Fun times
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back