Oils for 2007 H-D Sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our '07 Sportster is at 500+ miles and I'm beginning to think about that first oil change at 1000. I know the HDEO 15W-40 dino oils do well in these engines but we're already seeing temperatures in the 90s here and I'd like to switch to a synthetic oil. I'm considering Redline 10W-40 or 20W-50 for the engine and Heavy Shockproof for the transmission. Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W/50 is my other choice for engine oil. I'd appreciate any recommendations or comments.
Thanks

I've used M1 20W-50 V-Twin in all my HD's over the years. Currently have a Buell Uly and use the V-Twin M1 with great results.

David

The M1 V-Twin 20W-50 is a good option. Shockproof is recommended for big twin trannys but the Sportster tranny shares fluid with the primary doesn't it ??? I would check with the Redline techs first.

By the way. I had a Buell and contacted Mobil by phone. One of their techs recommended MX4T for the primary.

I've been using Amsoil since the early 80's. 20W-50 in all my vintage machines. I have it delivered to my shop. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use Mobil 1 VTwin oil. It can be found at almost any Wal-Mart. And, you can find Wal-Mart on any road trip.

Jack

Quote:

I've been using Amsoil since the early 80's. 20W-50 in all my vintage machines. I have it delivered to my shop. However, I wouldn't hesitate to use Mobil 1 VTwin oil. It can be found at almost any Wal-Mart. And, you can find Wal-Mart on any road trip.

Jack

I have yet to find motorcycle oil in Wal-Mart. Is it with the rest of the oil?

Quote:

Quote:

Jack

I have yet to find motorcycle oil in Wal-Mart. Is it with the rest of the oil?

Not at my Wal-Mart. The MC oils are on the aisle with all the other motorcycle accessories.

Here in Roxboro, NC, the Wal-Mart has 20W-50 Mobil 1 on the shelf with the other lubes. No segregation from the other auto oils. States on the bottle that it's for air-cooled VTwins. I have seen it on occasion at other Wal-Marts, when we travel. I usually look at such, while the wife is shopping for things we need.

Jack

If you are going Redline in the trans, I'd try MT-90. It is a 75W-90 but specifically designed for transmissions. I've used RL 75W-90 and 75W-90NS in the past, they both work fine too. As does Mobil 1 75W-90 and Amsoil 75W-90.

Quote:

If you are going Redline in the trans, I'd try MT-90. It is a 75W-90 but specifically designed for transmissions. I've used RL 75W-90 and 75W-90NS in the past, they both work fine too. As does Mobil 1 75W-90 and Amsoil 75W-90.

Heavy Shockproof seems to be popular with the guys on a couple of Harley forums that I visited. If I understand correctly, H-D recommended 10W/40 in the primary until SYN 3 was introduced. Many are now using synthetic ATF in their transmissions too, from what I've read.
I use MT-90 in my '89 F-250 (318k miles) and my '86 VW Jetta (310k miles) and have been very satisfied with it.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Quote:

If you are going with Redline I'd suggest you go with what they recommend for the Sportster transmission. From the Redline web site: "MTL is the correct product for Big-Twin primary chaincase. Big-Twin transmissions should use Red Line Heavy Shockproof, while Sportster and Buell Tranmission should use Red Line 75W90 GL-5 gear oil."

In my discussions with Dave and others at Redline the MT-90 and the 75W-90s were "fine" to use. I am using a Rivera Pro-Clutch and the plates seem to be a lot more sensitive to the fluid used than the stock set-up. I have tried several fluids with varying results and the MT-90 will be my next experiment. I have been told by Redline that the MT-90 and MTL fluids are specifically designed for transmissions and they will (hopefully) work better with my Rivera clutches. I have used RL 75W-90 with great results prior to my clutch "upgrade" and 75W-90NS afterwards with good results. On a stock set-up, these are great fluids, as is Mobil 1 75W-90. If you call Redline directly, I believe they would say all three fluids are fine to use.

P.S. I would not recommend Heavy Shockproof in a Sportster transmission since it shares the sump with the primary and that thick fluid is just not needed for that light of a bike.

Quote:

In my discussions with Dave and others at Redline the MT-90 and the 75W-90s were "fine" to use. I am using a Rivera Pro-Clutch and the plates seem to be a lot more sensitive to the fluid used than the stock set-up. I have tried several fluids with varying results and the MT-90 will be my next experiment. I have been told by Redline that the MT-90 and MTL fluids are specifically designed for transmissions and they will (hopefully) work better with my Rivera clutches. I have used RL 75W-90 with great results prior to my clutch "upgrade" and 75W-90NS afterwards with good results. On a stock set-up, these are great fluids, as is Mobil 1 75W-90. If you call Redline directly, I believe they would say all three fluids are fine to use.

Is your bike a Sportster? Why would Redline say one thing on their website regarding the correct fluid to use in a Sportster tranny and then say something else on the phone?

I've used Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W/50 in my bikes for years and like it. I am now using Redline 20W/60HD V twin oil only because I got a lot for father's day. You can't go wrong with M1 V-Twin, glad to hear you're not a Syn3 user! But I don't want to start anything...

I owned a 04 HD xl200r. I used amsoil 20w-50 in both the motor and transmission with great results. A great improvement over the HD dino oil, and a better buy.

I currently use the Mobil 1 20w-50 V-Twin oil in a Victory Hammer, with great results.

I like both motorcycle oils, Amsoil and Mobil 1 equally. I would use the Mobil 1 V-Twin in the HD with confidence. I buy it at Auto Zone for $7.99 a quart. Still a better buy than the HD oil, in my opinion.

Quote:

Quote:

If you are going with Redline I'd suggest you go with what they recommend for the Sportster transmission. From the Redline web site: "MTL is the correct product for Big-Twin primary chaincase. Big-Twin transmissions should use Red Line Heavy Shockproof, while Sportster and Buell Tranmission should use Red Line 75W90 GL-5 gear oil."

Doesn't it seem odd that Redline would recommend:

1. 75W-90 GL-5 gear lube for the trans and not their 75W-90 NS?
2. A gear lube instead of MTL or MT-90?
dunno.gif

Quote:

Is your bike a Sportster? Why would Redline say one thing on their website regarding the correct fluid to use in a Sportster tranny and then say something else on the phone?

The MT-90 and the 75W-90NS seem to be very close spec-wise except the Mt-90 is a GL4 and the gear lube is a GL5+.
http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/6.pdf

I called Dave at Redline today and got different information than someone (don't think it was Dave) gave me last year. Dave said that Harley does recommended a GL5 fluid (IIRC, there is nothing specified in the owner's manual except to use "sport-fluid" from Harley). Dave said the 75W-90 is best. I asked about the 75W-90NS and Dave said it would work although it is not as "slippery" as the 75W-90 because there are no friction modifiers in the NS fluid. Because the MT-90 is a GL4, Dave could not recommend it. Now I have a bottle of MT-90 with nothing to put it in and I need to get another bottle of gear lube...maybe. I'm still looking into this although I really don't want to go against what Dave just told me. But it does P*** me off that I was given contradicting information last time. I've talked to Dave a few times and trust his knowledge. I'm just confused now. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
frown.gif

Quote:

I called Dave at Redline today and got different information than someone (don't think it was Dave) gave me last year. Dave said that Harley does recommended a GL5 fluid (IIRC, there is nothing specified in the owner's manual except to use "sport-fluid" from Harley). Dave said the 75W-90 is best.

Dave said Harley recommends GL-5 fluid in the Sportster transmission? Or was he talking about Big Twins?

In my 07 Sportster manual the only fluid listed for use in the transmission is Harley's Formula+. I've been assuming this was just a GL-1 spec gear oil (which is really nothing but motor oil), and the data sheet on it would seem to support that assumption.

Yes, Dave knew I was talking specifically about the Sportster transmission/primary fluid. My 1996 doesn't list any spec either, just to use Sport-fluid or whatever Harley's brand name is. I just can't see how the MT-90 would do any damage, as it must be better than using a 20W-50 motor oil like many people do.

Two Sportsters and a TC96 Heritage. Havoline 20W-50 has given me the best UOAs over Mobile 1 and is quiter. Mobile 1 75W-90 gear oil did make an improvement on the two 05 Sportsters shifting. I use Havoline 20W-50 in the Engines, Mobile 1 75W-90 in the transmissions and Delo in the Heritage's primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back