Rotella T 15w40 CJ4 4500 miles 07 Harley XL883

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I'd dump it now and get an analysis. You're flying blind at this point, unless you know of another Goldwing that has done this with an analysis.

Over at this thread:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=1#Post715130

"99CentDinoMan" posted his UOA of Rotella 15W40 on his 1999 Valkyrie with 4267 miles and one year of elapsed time:

Blackstone Labs
Oil interval: 4267 mi.(one year) Total mi=25k
Filter: Pure one PL14610
Oil Type: Rotella T 15/40
Alum 3
Chro 1
Iron 17
Copr 6
Lead 1
Tin 1
Moly 0
Nick 0
Mang 0
Silv 0
Tita 0
Pota 0
Boro 0
Sili 6
Sodi 3
Calc 3277
Magn 11
Phos 967
Zinc 1197
SUS vis @210 67.2
Flash 380
Fuel 1.5%
Insolubles 0.3
TBN 7.8 yes 7.8

What's not clear is whether this is the "old" 15W-40 or the "new" CJ-4 15W-40.

The Valk is more or less the same bike as the Goldwing. Not exactly, but very close in terms of engine/transmission design and typical RPM range for normal operations. It appears from this UOA that the oil held up.

Still ... I get your point. I'm seriously thinking about running this to about 2K or maybe 2.5K and then doing a UOA. Even if this guy's UOA was for the "old" 15W-40 and it held up nicely for 4267 miles, I have to believe the new stuff -- which has a HTHS of 4.1 and which Shell touts as having even better anti-wear qualities than they originally hoped for -- has to hold up for 2K or 2.5K.

But again ... I will get the analysis, mostly because this "oil analysis" thing is my new hobby!
smile.gif

CJ-4 has only been around since around October/November of 2006, so this is not the CJ-4. AMSOIL CJ-4 is not recommended for extended oil changes unless UOA is done. AMSOIL CI-4 is recommended for extended oil changes. CJ-4 was primarily introduced for environmental purposes, not for performance or longitivity.

The Valk 1999 1500cc is quite a bit different from a 2007 1800cc GoldWing. I doubt they share any of the same parts except for maybe some fasteners.

I'm aware the impetus behind CJ-4 was mostly environmental. Some of that was a reduction in ash as well as a reduction in, I think, zinc because of catalytic converters.

There are really three issues with this oil in bikes:

1. Does the oil hold its viscosity over time (or does it shear down)?

2. Does the oil have sufficient anti-wear capabilities? This would be the zinc and phosphorus content, primarily.

3. Does the oil have any friction modifiers that might affect wet clutch operations?

I'm going to do a UOA at 2.5K or 3K. We'll see how it holds up. I'm confident it'll do okay in that short a change interval. 90% of my miles are highway miles ... I don't drive it all that hard.

As for anti-wear ... the zinc and phosphorus levels are comparable to other MC-specific oils. And besides, Shell sings to the ceiling the anti-wear results they found through testing of the new CJ-4 oil.

Finally, there is no moly in the new CJ-4 oil. Someone did a VOA and it came back 1ppm or something like that. Shell is firm about there being "no friction modifiers" in the Rotella oil, either CI-4 or the new CJ-4.

The Goldwing and the Valk are in the same product family. Originally the Valk was the Goldwing engine with six carbs rather than two, and a slightly different gearing if I recall.

Now, a 1999 Valk and a 2007 Goldwing are definitely different bikes ... but relatively close enough. They're both six cylinder bikes. They operate at comparable RPM. The Wing puts out more torque and HP because it's an 1800cc vs. 1500cc.

My point is the Wing and the Valk are closer to one another when it comes to how it treats the oil than, say, the Valk and the CBR1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back