Difference between Marine 2-Cycle and other types

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll check again, but did not see it. Poulan Synth $5/20 oz, and ST coming in at about $8.50/G. For what I can get the Pennzoil Semi-Synth Marine, $10, it's a nice middle ground. I did splurge for a q of AMSoil "HP Injector" 2C or something, $7. A G of that was $24. The Havoline was about $3.20/q (Advance).

check target, they also have the castrol gp oil for a few bucks a quart. i just got back from there.
its got a picture of an atv on the front of the bottle.

its hard to beat 2.37 a quart for the castrol gp fc rated oil.

I grabbed a 1q of Castrol 2T, like Master Acid said. I don't know how I missed it, but the bottle looks just like the 4-Stroke MC oil. W*M has 2C oil in THREE different places in the store...the oil isle, the small engine/gardening and the MC stuff. The price was right. Hard to know how it rates against the PZ Marine Semi-Synth. All there is are the specs to rely on. Are we saying the JASO spec is better than the TCW-3?

yeah it looks just like the castrol 4t or whatever, the 4 stroke oil is called.

i would think that a jaso fc rated oil is probably tougher than a tcw3 sence the jaso spec is ok for stuff like aircooled dirtbikes and chainsaws and the tcw3 is mainly for low temparture watercooled outboards.

TCW rated oils are "ashless". The additives that burn and create "ash" are not needed in the TCW (two stroke water cooled)(outboard motor) environment because they run cooler than air cooled engines.
TC or TSC (two stroke cycle air cooled)rated oils are more robust and considered "low ash" as their combustion produces some ash. The components (I forget what they actually are) that cause the ash are needed (prior to being burned) to prevent seizure in high RPM hot running air cooled two cycle engines such as high performance chain saws. Use outboard motor oil in a stihl chain saw and it won't last long. We seized four stihl saws before determining the problem. Switched oils to a TC rating and never had another problem. I would say TCW is good for the outboard motors and the environment, and should never be used in an air cooled two cycle engine. TC or TSC oils could be used in any two cycle engine. Jaso specs. further identifies oils smoke output among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back