BMW 330i E90 Capacities

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can get out of all the info out there, these are the capacities for the N52 (non-turbo 3.0l) 330i sedan:

Engine oil- 6.6l (7.1 US qts.) Specs 5W-30 Synth of API SL or higher. BMW High Performance Synthetic (in the US anyway) is a Castrol Grp. III but performs extremely well. GC currently in my sump.

Trans., Manual ZF, 6-spd.- 1.3l (1.4 US qts.) BMW Lifetime fluid 83 22 9 408 942 (MTF-LT-1) Another Castrol product available at the dealer for approx. $125 US for a 5l jug. Everyone seems to use a RedLine fluid, be it D4ATF, MT-90, or MTL. Personally I'm coveting the last few qts. of Specialty Formulations MTF Glide.

Trans., Auto., ZF 5-spd.- 9.0l (9.5 US qts.)for full fluid and filter change. Specs BMW lifetime fluid 83 22 9 407 807, which is Exxon (Esso) fluid LT 71141. This stuff is about $15-20 US a quart. Folks also using the Redline D4ATF but not nearly as many as with the manual. Lots more opting for the factory fluid.

If you have the GM 5-spd. auto, its 4.0l (4.2 US qts.) of BMW lifetime 83 22 0 024 359. This is a Texaco fluid, ETL 8072B. Haven't seen anyone mention changing this trans or using an alternative fluid.

Rear carrier (Diff)- .9l (.95 US qt.) BMW SAF-XO lifetime fluid. Strange, because mine calls for the same (E46) but I was able to get about 1.3 qts. in my diff. I wouldn't guess the carrier housing for the E90 would be smaller so figure on about the same. Almost EVERYONE eschews the factory stuff for RedLine 75W-90 gear oil. Again, small stash of highly revered Speciality Formulations fluid for me.

Hopefully if you"re asking because you aren't buying into BMW's silly "lifetime" fluid drivle. Good call.

BMW 5W30 performs well? Poke thru the UOA section.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...XJ_B1174_96.pdf

fwiw, Castrol SAF-XO = 75W90, Castrol SAF-XJ = 75W140 (for M's). I used Lubro-Moly.

Does BMW rec'd 30wt engine oil for the tranny? ATF?
Then MTL and D4ATF are too thin.... Use MT90 or 75W90NS. SF MTL-R. Amsoil's got a 75W90 GL-4 also.

There's a few ATF's that meet LT-71141; Valvoline Maxlife and Mercon V, Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF, Amsoil, etc.

Isn't there a Shell ATF? LA-xxxx? Or is that for older cars.

Quote:

BMW 5W30 performs well? Poke thru the UOA section.

Considering how long an average bwm owner runs it (the typical 15k mile BMW-suggested interval), I would say those UOAs don't look bad. The problem is with the interval and not the oil per se, IMO.

Thanks everyone thats a great help.

I chatted to BM and they will do a oil change on both the 130 and 330 (the two we own) at 1000km, I am taking Mobil 1 0w-40 since I have quite a stock of it.
I will leave the diff and gearbox for now.

Quote:

I will leave the diff and gearbox for now.

From all I have gathered and the expert advice I follow (Mike Miller @ Bimmer Magazine is an old school whiz), I changed diff and 6sp manual tranny @ 40k miles with Royal Purple. Redline was also recommended for tranny/diff and M1 for diff (actually any quality synth gear oil in 75W-90 will work fine, every 30-40k miles for trouble-free maint). Enjoy! My 3.0 Z4 loves the fresh stuff. I also use GC when not dealer-filled with BWM Castrol.

Quote..From all I have gathered and the expert advice I follow (Mike Miller @ Bimmer Magazine is an old school whiz), I changed diff and 6sp manual tranny @ 40k miles with Royal Purple. Redline was also recommended for tranny/diff and M1 for diff (actually any quality synth gear oil in 75W-90 will work fine, every 30-40k miles for trouble-free maint). Enjoy! My 3.0 Z4 loves the fresh stuff. I also use GC when not dealer-filled with BWM Castrol.

You are on your way to a long lived BMW!!! I have followed Mike Miller's advice from day 1 ( changed trannie + diff fluids while it was still in warranty) and changed the oil twice in between BMW's lovely extended OCI ( free )intervals. I use Redline MTL in the trans, Castrol Syntec 75-90 in the diff and GC in the engine. If my GC supply dries up I'll probably go with M1 0w40 in it's place.

The driveline gets serviced every 15k including using my topside oiler to change out the PS fluid ( I use Castrol Dex III in it). The driveline is tight and quiet and leak free ( dry as a popcorn ____). Follow M Millers advice (really any car would benefit from his maintenance schedule) and your car may out live YOU!!!. Cheers!

I had the oil changed on the 130i last week...1000km. Interesting that the car only took 6 litres, I thought it was 6,5? Anyway it has Mobil 1 0w-40 in it now.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back