OEM Oil Spec for 2005 Hyundai Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering a 2005 Hyundai Sonata with the 2.7 V6 as a replacement for my 2002 Chevy Impala with a transmission on the way out (yes, I know...I am crossing over to the dark side). Do any of you know what oil is specified by Hyundai for this engine.
dunno.gif
If it is not 5W-30 I may be gifting some of my friends with my small stash of Havoline conventional and semi-synthetic (I've caught the BITOG disease). Thanks, gents.

You know the hyundai is quite a nicely built car. I think you're doing yourself a favor on that one if you don't mind the resale value of it being a little lower. However buying it used means you're taking advantage of it.

From the Amsoil site:
2005 HYUNDAI SONATA 2.7L 6-cyl Engine Code H
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
SAE 5W-30 XL Synthetic Motor Oil
Above 32°F......10W-30
All Temps......5W-20, 5W-30[1]
1. SAE 5W-20 is preferred.
Looks like 5W30 is the second choice for all temps. So, you lucked out!

Quote:

"yes, I know...I am crossing over to the dark side"

More like coming in from the cold!

Thanks for giving me a different perspective on that. I have tried to be faithful to the American manufacturers but losing an automatic on our last car (1995 Taurus) and now this one on borrowed time, I have to do what is right for our wallet. The transmission tech who diagnosed the problem indicated that all the domestic makes have problematic transmissions that could be fixed with better engineering and better quality parts. Oh well...time to move on. Thanks all for the info on what grade oil can be used in the Hyundai.

The newer hyundai's are a very well built car.

I think you are being smart by buying a couple years used.

I was looking at the newer elantras for myself. I ended up going with a saturn ion, but I think the elantra might be a little better built.

The elantra needs a timing belt service every 60k miles, I'm not sure if this is similar to their v6 setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back