redline and easy driven cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think quoting something from Journals such as Tribology Letters, Lubrication Engineering, Wear, etc would be more meaningful and scientific.

quote:

You're not an automobile engineer with an independent method of verifying lubricant performance, or your car is under a new car warranty and you don't want to play warranty roulette.

Nice abstract answer.
API is funded by whom?

I believe the following to be true of the API:
Licensing is voluntary.
Application for licensing requires a fee be paid by the oil manufacture.
On a macro scale the API is concerned with much more than purely "ultimate oil performance".
There are no hallmark performance tests involved with cert.
The world views API cert. as a MINIMUM standard.

So to infer that any well built oil would not be approved for API licensing is baffling.

And to imply a well bulit oil is lacking simply based on the fact that it doesn't contain API licensing,--- is frankly, ignorant IMO.

Doesn't GC have high ester content (Though I wouldn't be the authority on that) and pass everything including euro A3 extended drain. It sure seems Marty and Brian were seperated at birth, or maybe not.

I don't think the problem is with Esters, I think the problem is with REDLINE . We have data on this website that shows RL isn't that good of an oil. You can spin it however you want but the facts are that RL has been not that impressive at all. RL is using a different Ester then Delvac 1 and GC so who knows....500ppm of Moly???
dunno.gif

Terry has always said forget about brand and let the UOA speak for itself. We have maybe 2 or 3 stellar UOAs with RL, thats it.

Now what ever esters are found in GC, they are doing a nice job.
grin.gif

[ August 05, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

I think the problem is with REDLINE. We have data on this website that shows RL isn't that good of an oil.

lol.gif
No we don't!
We have UOAs which don't correlate to actual engine wear(at least with Red Line).
The real and only proof comes from parts inspection, which in Red Lines case showed no perceivable wear.

Talk about SPIN
grin.gif

So low TBN and high Pb/Cu don't exist in RL UOAs? I must be imagining it then.
lol.gif

It might or might not be wear. None of us know. Yeah, tear downs would tell but none of us do that.

quote:

If to compare synthetic oils, according to tests run by our car magazine ester based oils showed considerably higher corrosivity then oils formulated mainly with PAO. To mesure weight loss of metal plates due to corrosion at 9.000 and 15.000 km it was used high temperature oxidation test (1 hour is considered as about 3.000 km). In the same table you will find shear stability. Unfortunately the procedure was not decribed: I could find only that they applied a higher temperature then 100 C (possible they used the same CEC L-14-A-93 with over 100 C and over 30 cycles).

...................................... Corrosion, g ........... Shear stability, %
Motul 300V 5W-30 ............. 7,0 ... 17,8 ............ - 9,0 ... - 3,0
Motul 8100 0W-40 ...................... 16,0 ....................... - 43,3
Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 .................. 1,8 ....................... - 26,9
Mobil1 0W-40 ............................. 12,0 ...................... - 32,6
Castrol RS 0W-40 ......................... 7,0 ....................... - 49,5
Liqui Moly Synth. 5W-40 ................ 7,1 ....................... - 23,1
Chevron Delo-400 5W-40 ............. 10,0 ....................... - 40,0
Shell Helix Plus 10W-40 ....... 0,1 .... 8,2 .......... - 14,0 ... - 24,0
Castrol GTX5 10W-40 ......... 0,7 .... 3,3 .......... - 11,0 ... - 28,0
BP Visco 3000 10W-40 ........ 0,3 .... 6,0 ........... + 7,2 .... - 4,0
Valvoline Dura Blend ........... 3,7 ... 10,5 .......... - 25,0 ... - 27,0
Esso Ultra 10W-40 ............. 3,2 ... 11,0 .......... - 24,0 ... - 13,0
Castrol GTD 10W-40 ........... 2,0 .... 9,0 .......... - 10,0 ... - 29,0
Shell Helix Super 10W-40 .... 3,2 ... 12,0 .......... - 18,0 ... - 13,0
Liqui Moly Tour. 10W-40 ..... 5,6 ... 19,0 .......... + 12,0 ... + 41,0

[ August 05, 2004, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I think you're the one that posted Dave's response to the low TBN question.

And Terry has explanations for the lead readings.

You don't have to like the product. But, allow others to draw their own conclusions based on ALL the objective facts.
smile.gif

quote:

Yeah, tear downs would tell but none of us do that.

MolaKule did, that's how we know wear was nil.

Is that the Exclusive motorsports test? As I recall someone conducting the test is related to a person of power at a major oil company.

Too bad they didn't document their test methods; I find it hard to draw much out of a haphazard test as this appears to be.

[ August 05, 2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: 69 Riv GS ]

Buster, your correct in redirecting this to the original question but I was just trying to point at the use of esters as perhaps not being a good arguement against Redline since it's in other oils that will meet the most stringent government standards and give us good UOAs. I would probably use something else in a seldomly driven car but because of price reasons more than any other. Maybe mix a quart of RL into some good dino for the moly and to keep bits coated with oil when not in use. I can't see how this wouldn't help with corrosion resistance. Perhaps the type of esters chosen by RL aren't the best for seldom used vehicles, maybe they are, but to say it's bad because it's ester based can probably be disproven by experience with other ester based oils and just seems like a huge leap. If all A's are C's and all B's are C's than all A's are B's. NOT

[ August 05, 2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: goodvibes ]

I agree with both of you. Didn't mean to take it off track. RL doesn't believe in UOAs. MK did do a test and your right it should no wear or increased wear over Ams or M1. Esters are good and used in oils. Why RL shows higher wear #'s is theory at this point.....It has a great reputation in drag racing.
smile.gif

quote:

MolaKule:
I think quoting something from Journals such as Tribology Letters, Lubrication Engineering, Wear, etc would be more meaningful and scientific.

To a research chemist.

Research chemists brought us DexCool and Mobil 1 Aviation oil.

What we're interested in is getting it out of lab and into the field.

More meaningful would be SAE papers, statistically significant field trials, fleet results, and other real world facts - facts being more relevant to what most people want to do, which is use the product. That's how DexCool and Mobil 1 Aviation oil got found out.

To this point in either thread you haven't posted SAE papers, statistically significant field trials, fleet results, and other real world facts - nor Tribology Letters, Lubrication Engineering - so it's sort of moot.

quote:

69 Riv GS:

Nice abstract answer.

[/QUOTE]

An API starburst seal doesn't look too abstract.

The oil either has one or it doesn't.

A guy driving an easy driven car isn't abstract.

quote:

API is funded by whom?

[/QUOTE]

The licensees and supporting members appear on its website.

[QB]
quote:

The world views API cert. as a MINIMUM standard.

[/QUOTE]

That would imply Red Line does not meet a MINIMUM standard.

[QB]
quote:

And to imply a well bulit oil is lacking simply based on the fact that it doesn't contain API licensing,--- is frankly, ignorant IMO.
Are you calling me ignorant?

Are are you suggesting that the various manufacturers of automobiles that specify that oils that meet the API standards are ignorant?

Or are you suggesting that drawing your erroneous implication is ignorant?

quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:

You don't have to like the product. But, allow others to draw their own conclusions based on ALL the objective facts.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:

quote:

Is that the Exclusive motorsports test? As I recall someone conducting the test is related to a person of power at a major oil company.

Too bad they didn't document their test methods; I find it hard to draw much out of a haphazard test as this appears to be.

quote:

69 Riv GS:

smile.gif

Which are?

quote:

quote:

A statistically significant number of automotive engines operated under realistic conditions, such as the API sequence tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back