'02 cavalier 2.2 ohv info please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking at this '02 Cavalier with the 2.2 ohv engine. I think this was the last year for this engine before the 2.2 Ecotec replaced it. It is in good condition with 59k mi, and can pick it up for $4,300 OTD. Does any one know if GM ever resolved the Head Gasket issues on this engine and if so when? Does this car use dex-cool? If so, should I worry about corroding parts like on earlier dex-cool vehicles or were these issues resolved on the later models?
Also, the vehicle is 4spd auto, and I couldn't find an ATF dip stick. There was a red cap I unscrewed on the top of the tranny, and I assune that was the fill. How do I check the atf level?
dunno.gif

thx for any info

I just bought one of these a couple weeks ago, it's a 2000 but the engine and tranny are the same. The headgasket issue was resolved in 2000, but my gf has a 1999 with 113k on it and it doesn't have any issues. The particular 2.2 OHV engine used in these cars will run forever, however the same cannot be said about the 2.4 used in the sport model.

The 4-speed auto on these is not DIY-friendly, as it's supposed to be one of those wonderful "lifetime fill" designs. Looks like I'll be taking it to the dealer soon to have the fluid replaced, however, at once every 50k, it won't be that much of a rape. My gf's car is a 3-speed, and from a maintenance perspective, it is the superior of the two designs. However, for $4500 with under 50k on the clock, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Mine's got an interesting problem, though. Something in the front rattles under moderate acceleration but ONLY under 2,000 rpms. Get the engine above this speed and no more noise. It kind of sounds like pinging but also does not appear to be coming directly from the engine, and it does not behave like pinging in that if I get on the gas and get the revs up, it goes away.

Last edited:
These have a knock sensor, so it probably isnt pinging.
Yes, they use dexcool. But I would change it out with new dexcool when you get it. My water pump was toast at 70k. I Dont know if it was because it was never changed before I got it, but that seems like an awful early death.
Thank GM for putting the alternator where it is easy to get to, because it dies often. However, good luck finding something to get on the belt tensoner with when you need to do something with the accessory drive.

Dont know how long they last. Our Late 2000 (Built in May 2000) Sunfire 2.2 OHV only has 115,000 mi on it. Gets 28 mpg in town and 36 mpg Highway with 4 Spd Auto. Most of its life with 10,000 mi OCI on Castrol Syntec 0W-30 aka German Castrol. Uses Zero Oil between 10,000 mi changes. Has been using OAT Coolant (Dexcool) its whole life. Coolant and Trans Fluid changed once at 5 years (75,000 mi). Still has original waterpump and alternator.

Negatives - Goes through Batteries and Drivers Side Power Window Motor Every 3 years. Both are cheap and only take a few minutes to replace. No other repairs.

my 96 2.2 sunfire has the piston slap when cold, original headgasket/water pump, always dexcool, 2nd alternator. the real common issue is with the cooling fan not coming on until the car is running real hot on the thermostat. I read on j-body.org that GM set it up that way. My a/c compressor crapped out a few years ago too.

Quote:

The 4-speed auto on these is not DIY-friendly, as it's supposed to be one of those wonderful "lifetime fill" designs.

I've posted before about how to change the fluid in the 4T40E. Do a search, I posted them in the ATF forum.

In a nutshell:

Remove the pan.

Change the filter.

Reinstall the pan.

Add 6 quarts of fluid to the transmission using the filler cap on top.

Jack up the car and ensure that the transmission is level (will require raising both ends of the car). Use a carpenter's level on the transmission pan to be sure.

Start the engine and let it run until the transmission pan is about 100F (warm to the touch).

Remove the level checking plug.

Add fluid until it starts running out of the level checking plug.

Reinstall the level checking plug.

Done.

Quote:

These have a knock sensor, so it probably isnt pinging.

My Corolla had a knock sensor and pinged like #@$%! in hot weather. Never threw a CEL either. Dealer could never figure it out.

fyi

General Motors made DEX-COOL™ Extended Life Coolant standard equipment in all North American-built vehicles (except Saturn) beginning in the 1996 model year. Some assembly plants made the conversion over the 1995 Memorial Day shutdown, and all remaining plants were converted for the 1996 model startup.

Quote:

my 96 2.2 sunfire has the piston slap when cold, original headgasket/water pump, always dexcool, 2nd alternator. the real common issue is with the cooling fan not coming on until the car is running real hot on the thermostat. I read on j-body.org that GM set it up that way. My a/c compressor crapped out a few years ago too.

The fan comes on at 225*. I wired in a switch and I turn it on at about 215*. Another cooling mod I did was remove the hood insulation and the seal at the back of the hood where it meets the body. Never seen it over 200* as long as Im moving, and usually its 195*.
Interesting, my A/C compressor died as well. Front seal blown. I believe that if GM had setup a WOT cutout for it I would still be on the original compressor. Also, Probably part of the problem with the alt is that the stock + wire is far too small. Its only about a 10ga. I added an 8ga along side it.

I currently drive a 2002, 4-door Cavalier with a 4-sped auto, that has about 93,000 miles (148,500km) on it. I've had it for 2 years this July. Change the oil in it every 8,000km (3-4 months), uses 1/4 to 1/2 litre between changes. Has a fair bit of piston slap for a couple of minutes when cold, but other than that engine is as solid as a rock.

Last summer, I had a problem when the cooling system got an air bubble in it, and 'burped' a bunch of coolant out, and nearly overheated. I got some water into it, and got it to a garage for a full flush and pressure check. No problems since.

This year, I'm battling a couple of minor electrical gremilins. Had to replace both rear light sockets, b/c my signal lights stopped working regularly - sometimes they would, other times not, but the lights worked. I also have a 'check engine light that comes on every once in a while, and then just goes off. Doesn't sem to be anything serious.

In October I'm due for an emmissions test, so the car will goe a full maintenance regime before that - FI cleaner, new air filter, and an oil change. Don't expect any problems passing. I will probably also have the tranny fully serviced, as I've never had it done at all...

All this to say I really like the car, and it has been reliable. I don't think anyone can go really wrong buying one of these from 2000-2002 (the OHV ones).

We had a 97 Cavi 2.2 3speed that we bought new and sold with 179k on it and it still ran decent and got 26mpg. All I ever done the whole time was change oil every 5k with whatever was on sale,1 altenator,1 water pump and about 3 brake jobs. Also had to replace the driver side cv joint cause on 1 of the brake jobs I routed the hose wrong and rubbed a hole in the boot.To add to the reliability of the 2.2 my 00 s10 has seen 150k hard miles and still runs like a new one.

I have a 2002 2.2 OHV, with the 4 speed. 83000 miles on it, no problems with anything, except one time it just wouldn't start. Dealer fixed it and nothing has gone wrong with it since. I beat the heck out of it and the engine is solid as a rock. Oh yeah, the metal strap around your muffler will rot off, though, but it's an easy fix.

My gf has an 01 cavalier 2.2L 3 speed. bought it with 54,000 miles. Now has 2k just shy of 100k. Only maintenance item was really the tensioner pulley went south, and I wondered why her car sounded supercharged
smile.gif
. I changed her dexcool out just two weeks ago with 97,000k on it. It was still nice and orange, and didn't smell funky. Being it had been 6yrs I decided to change it out.

Transmission fluid will get changed this weekend. As far as I know it's the original fill. She does all highway driving, so as far as Im concerned 100k filter changes should be good to go.

She averages around 26-27mpg. My advice is if the CEL comes on and is EVAP related, check the wiring harness in the rear by the evap canister. The harness for her canister was routed under the main harness back there, so it had tension on it and pulled the wires out of the connector. Easy fix
smile.gif

As for oil, 10w30 Mobil Clean 5000. UOA can be found in the UOA section. She went 6,150 mi on this last change, and results look good. The oil pan gasket seems to seep a tad, but no lost oil betweeen OCIs. I've got a maintenance does of ARX in there, hoping maybe help condition the pan gasket .

Also i've never had a problem with the E-fan. Comes on at i forget what Temp, but the car barely ever sees a tick over 195 even idling in the recent hot weather in MI in traffic..

Last edited:
My '00 has 103,000 on it. I had replaced the tranny fluid and filter with help for preventive maintenance, and had the antifreeze replaced last fall. Made a mistake by not looking for DEX COOL on the 50/50 jugs of Peak, but the mechanic that did the job said it won't hurt it. I'm going to be trading it in a couple/three years anyways I hope.

FWIW you can drop the transmission pan, remove and reinstall a filter, and fill w/7 quarts of oil and forget about the transmission. That way you don't have to bother with that pesky level/fill plug.

My wife bought her '96 Cavalier 2.2L brand new. She's moved on to a Grand Caravan, but I still use the Cavalier as a daily driver. It has 161,000 miles on it and has been a great car for us. It saw mostly Mobil 1 until the last few years; recently it has been run on either TropArtic or Synpower. Trans fluid changed every 3 yrs, coolant every other year. The original alternator lasted until 143,000 miles. It's on its 3rd A/C compressor. I put a new Delphi compressor and receiver/drier on it again; supposedly the compressor's seal design has been improved. I'm getting ready to put some money into it to replace the struts, strut mounts, and front wheel bearings/hubs. I'm planning to use Tokico struts.

Things to watch for: timing chain tensioner may go bad; timing chain will soon follow, taking out some valves with it. You can hear the chain clanging around at idle when the tensioner goes, which is your warning sign to change it. The head gasket can also be a problem area. I haven't had to deal with either of these yet, but I'm going to try to do them both this year as a preventative maintainance measure.

the late model cavalier/sunfire is a pretty good little car. you may wish to consider a mid size or full size fwd gm car with the 3800 engine. twice the car and the gas mileage is painfully close to the little 2.2

I have been noticing the same thing. I Joined j-body, and have been viewing ecotecforum and ecotecpower, and they are only squeezing out low 30's. I could squeeze low thirties out of my supercharged 3800 without really trying at 77 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back