ELF vs Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
dunno.gif
I use ELF Solaris LLX 5W30 in my '05 TDI-PD. I was wondering how would this oil compare to Amsoil's 5W30 diesel oil in an '05 Jeep CRD?Would it work as well?Thanx,Kurt
confused.gif

I'm a little confused. Is this the vehicle?
2005 JEEP LIBERTY 2.8L 4-cyl Engine Code 5 TurboDiesel:
If so, these are Amsoil's recommended oils:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......CG-4
Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil
SAE 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil
Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
All Temps......0W-40, 5W-40[1]
1. Must use synthetic engine oil.
The HDD would be an excellent choice for gas mileage, long oil changes (Personal Light Truck Diesel or
Gasoline Engine Service

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, or longer based on oil analysis.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first, or longer based on oil analysis.

• Replace AMSOIL Ea™ full flow oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).)

Amsoil is made in America and the dealers here help support this website.

I don't see where this Elf product meets any API classifications which are likely recommended by your owners manual. I don't see that it is recommended for extended oil changes. What is the price?

That Elf oil meets VW's 504/507 specification. To me that is the highest accolade you can bestow on a passenger car lubricant.
bowdown2.gif

The Jeep CRD is a high EGR active engine...read soot producing. You want an oil that suspends soot in small particle units. The HDD Series 3000 would be a great choice.

Funny to see those guys all happy Fe over 50 ppm.

Quote:

I use ELF Solaris LLX 5W30 in my '05 TDI-PD. I was wondering how would this oil compare to Amsoil's 5W30 diesel oil in an '05 Jeep CRD?Would it work as well?Thanx,Kurt

I really don't know the ELF oil, but a 5W-30 to 5W-30 shoot out in the Jeep, the HDD would come out just fine.

Looking at those UOA's I would run Amsoil 10W-30 ACD HDEO, or 15W-40 AME HDEO to 10K for a whole lot less money.

ELF (Total) is similar to XOM. Very large oil company with lot of R&D. They make all their own base oils and additives. I'm sure their oils are excellent. I know their F1 PAO racing oil is highly regarded. I don't think you will benefit any from using Elf over the current Amsoil line. I'd go with Amsoil.

Quote:

Funny to see those guys all happy Fe over 50 ppm.

It is a bit unusual. But they are almost all testing very-low-mileage engines, 5k-15k miles. It's good that they are getting baseline numbers, but those Liberty CRD's with the VM Motori I-4 engines should take a long time to break in.

It's clear from that thread that 5k miles is about right for an OCI, using a quality synthetic 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back