How often should power steering fluid be changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed out the factory psf out of my 96 sunfire with supertech stuff last month. everything is a-ok.

I did 5-6 suck and fills using a turkey baster in my Saturn after nearly 100k miles on the original fluid. Used SuperTech Power Steering Fluid to complete the change. I ran about 1.25 qt through the system and now the fluid is an amber color.

I only wish I discovered the "line" leading to the pump several months ago so I wouldn't have had to resort to the turkey baster method. I think when I do the oil change next week or so, I'll drain the entire system through the line (and turn the steering wheel from side to side) to remove all of the old fluid.

Inserting a narrow funnel into the resevior OUT line and pour in fresh fluid while cranking is SO easy and does a great job. I cap the res out hole with some tin foil and crank until it is full.

Every 2 years is probably great but also watch the fluid and just make sure it has not oxidized and turned dark. If it is clean then probably OK.

Quote:

Inserting a narrow funnel into the resevior OUT line and pour in fresh fluid while cranking is SO easy and does a great job. I cap the res out hole with some tin foil and crank until it is full.

hey bro

you crank the engine to get the PSF out? Dont you already crank the engine to get every drop of oil out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back