Question about water pump life expectancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do water pumps wear out more due to mileage or age? Reason I ask is cuz I have a friend who just got a '92 Mitsu 3000GT, it's only got 54k miles on it and I'm wondering of how much longer he can expect out of it. It's 15 years old, yet it has low miles.

If the coolant is changed often enough, it will last for a long time, Ive seen them go 100-150k. On the other hand, my pump was leaking with just 68k because no one bothered to change the coolant before I did (too late).

Both mileage and age have impact. I don't know anything about the vehicle you mentioned, but if it has a timing belt I would replace that now if it is an interference engine, and if the water pump is driven by the timing belt the might as well replace that too.

Yes, there are certain cases where I would replace it regardless of age or mileage, just because it would be easy to do while you are that deep.

My 1983 Chevy van had 85,000 miles when I sold it last year. Original water pump. My 1997 Venture had 90,000 miles when it leaked and I replaced it last year.

You really need to find a user group and ask them. The life expectance of a part assumeing we are talking new OEM is going to be different in each application. Life expectance is affected by age,milage,maintence,environment,design and materials used. Some water pumps might average 50,000 miles while another might avarage 200,000 miles between pump failures!

It all depends on who the pump is made by mainly. I always get major parts like water pumps new; meaning not rebuilt. A life time warranty is essential.

It also depends on what kind of coolant you are using and how often you change it.

Low silicate or silicate free coolants cause less wear to waterpump seals. The spec sheets for both Dex-Cool and Fleetguard Compleat ES (a heavy-duty diesel engine coolant that's also recommended for gasoline engines) both state this.

Proper BELT TENSIONING and 30,000 coolant changes w/ distilled water and 90,000 to 100,000 miles out of a water pump should be expected. Many over-tension at a belt change and put unnecessary wear on the pump seal?

Quote:

My last Toyota pickup 503k on original pump. My 74 Triumph Spitfire 33 years on the original pump.

Now those are some good water pumps!

I haven't had to replace any water pumps yet, but I don't have any high mileage stories. 8 years and 110K is the highest so far.

1997 Mazda B2300. 202,000 miles, still on the original water pump, with no signs of trouble to date. Standard "green" silicated coolant used throughout the vehicle's life, too.

My Jeep Wrangler's water pump was changed at 86,000 miles but my Cherokee's pump is fine at 106,000 miles.The Wrangler has the fan on the pump but the Cherokee has the fan on it's own bearing,off to the side,while there is an electric fan that comes on when needed.

My 98 Yukon's original pump leaked at 60,000. I replaced it with a rebuilt pump, now it has 189,000 on that same parts store pump. I think it was 18 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back