Oil in 1998 Olds Intrigue

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be a somewhat long and meandering post. My fiance's car is a 1998 Olds Intrigue. It has 160,000 miles on it now. It was her grandparents car and well maintained by her father, a GM mechanic. It was on 3k OCI's until 130K w/ Dino oil. I have since been doing OCI's at 5k w/ one quart of M1 5w-30 and 3.5 qts Exxon Superflo (which I have over 6 cases left that I scored at .69 a qt. in fall of '05). Well of course her g'pa was outraged by the 5k interval. Dad is kosher with it. I don't really plan on changing this, but wonder what everyones thoughts are on this? Most of the miles are easy highways. Since I've switched, the car uses at most, 1/2 qt. of oil. Thanks ahead of time. I am really just interested in peoples opinions. Thanks.

Exxon Superflo is good oil, but I wouldn't go 5000 miles on it. ( flame suit on
smirk.gif
)

I'm not quite sure I'd run 5W-30 in it either.

Last edited:
I like your regemine! But a little more info would be nice! For example:
1)Is the engine the infamous 3.8 or is the engine the optional OHC(IIRC 3.5/3.6) for some year Intrigue's ? Either engine should be quite easy on the oil!
2)Is the SuperFlo the new SM GF-4 or the old SL GF-3?
3)Is the Mobil 1 " " " " " " ?
The addition of M-1 will certainly help you achieve the 5000 mile OCI especially since the engine was so well maintained prior to your taking over.
Those Intrigue's were some of the nicest GM cars made in their day and it too bad that the OLDS DIV. was closed down. Although I beleive they went out with a BANG! Oldsmobile made some of their best vehicles ever, just a little too late. Heres a little trivia for you...The Intrigue was on the same platform as the "WideTrac" Pontiac Grand Prix but, the Intrigue actually had a bit wider track. Beleive it or not!

Since the OP describes low oil consumption, I'd venture to guess this 'trigue's got the 3.8L (most everyone with a 3.5L V6 I've seen burns a LOT more oil than that!). Our '01 has the 3.5L and it would probably gobble up nearly 2 qts oil in 5K miles (I observed this when I ran M1 in it). I've reduced our car's oil consumption to nil by using GC.

Anyway, I agree, the OP appears to be maintaining a good healthy oil change regimen with that car.

I think you are doing fine. I maintain a 99 and a 00 Intrigue. I go by the OLM. I also drive mostly highway miles and the OLM never comes on until after 6000 miles. I at first used castrol GTX until I got 80 quarts of maxlife dino at $1.40 a quart. I run 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter in both. Both have the the 3.5 but the 99 specs 10W30 and the 00 specs 5W30.
PS. Love the car, very comfortable, drives better than anything else I test drove. Also hate that Oldsmobile closed up just when they came out with good cars. Electrical systems have a few gremlins at times but nothing major.

Thanks guys, I just wanted some reassuarrance. It does have the 3.8L in it. The superflo is SM rated and the mobil 1 is the regular, not the EP.

That 3800 motor is a great motor.

I'm glad you didn't get that intake leaking 3.4, or 3.5, whatever it is.

My brother had a grand am with that motor, and we had to do the manifold gaskets on it.

The 3800 is a tank, and gets great gas mileage.

Just use any API SM oil thats on sale, and 5k intervals would be perfect.

Quote:

That 3800 motor is a great motor.

I'm glad you didn't get that intake leaking 3.4, or 3.5, whatever it is.

My brother had a grand am with that motor, and we had to do the manifold gaskets on it.

The 3800 is a tank, and gets great gas mileage.

Just use any API SM oil thats on sale, and 5k intervals would be perfect.

just watch , the 3.8L had intake manifold leaks as well.

3.8 GMs will leak coolant and Mobil5000 sodium will mask the early signs of coolant leak with a UOA. So watch the coolant levels and I would not use Mobil or Exxon dino if you do UOAs.

Quote:

3.8 GMs will leak coolant and Mobil5000 sodium will mask the early signs of coolant leak with a UOA. So watch the coolant levels and I would not use Mobil or Exxon dino if you do UOAs.

the key for monitoring that is not really the sodium, but the potassium in the oil.

Dexcool is potassium rich.

Superflo is an excellent oil, IMHO. Make everyone happy and cut your OCI to 4000. An extra 1000 miles is not worth making g'pa upset at you
wink.gif

I had a 2000 OLDS Intrigue with the 3.5 that engine really runs.It is aucually nickname a ShortStar because it is a mini Northstar V6. It had 98000 miles on it when we traded it, it would only use oil if you ran it hard on long trips other wise it was a great car, lots of power and great gas milelage, my wife hated to see it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back