acura nsx

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does Acura recommend? Honda is usually pretty specific on what oils to use where. You can save a few bucks by purchasing the required fluid at a Honda dealer vs an Acura dealer. Check your owner's manual.

I'd check with Amsoil, and use whatever they recommend for the NSX. If you don't like Amsoil, check with Redline. Both companies should have a top-notch fluid for the NSX.

A 3rd option would be Royal Purple. O'Reilly Auto Parts should be able to order whatever fluid RP recommends for the NSX.

FYI, The 93 NSX owner's manual states:

Quote:

Only use an API service SF or SG grade motor oil, with a SAE viscosity of 10W-30 or 10W-40.

The transmission should be drained and refilled with new oil every 24 months or 48,000 km (30,000 miles), whichever comes first.

Rt-ponder, if you want a better response, you need to state what the manual says is needed. If you can afford an NSX, you can afford the shop and owner's manuals.
Fluid recommendations are based on substitutes or equivalents to the OEM's recommendations.

If it requires a 30-40wt motor oil(thank you CCS), then just about any of the MTLs and MTF's, or ratios of them mixed, can be used. Redline MTL MT90 75w90NS, Amsoil MTF MTG, and BG Synchroshift-II are some to start with. And, theres always the hondacura precision crafted stuff.

There are also plenty of synthetic HDEO and motorcycle oils to choose from. I wouldn't bother with PCMOs.

Quote:

FYI, The 93 NSX owner's manual states:

Quote:

Only use an API service SF or SG grade motor oil, with a SAE viscosity of 10W-30 or 10W-40.

The transmission should be drained and refilled with new oil every 24 months or 48,000 km (30,000 miles), whichever comes first.

Sounds like any 80wt or 90wt GL-4 gear oil (or a mix of the 2) would work fine.

Isn't BG Synchroshift an ATF? And too thin for this app?

I would use Redline MTL, in part because it is an excellent lube and in part because it is easy to get from our local parts store.

Stay away from most GL-5 lubes as they often are not correct for a manual tranny. Amsoil and Royal Purple also offer lubes which are designed for manual transmissions which orignally specified motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back