ATF in Ford MANUAL transmission???

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Ford F-150 5 speed manual transmission.

Anybody know why Ford says to use ATF in their manual transmissions? Seems like ATF would be too thin for the job.

What about using a thin gear oil instead, like Redline MTL 70w-80?

Yes, my '99 Ranger manual spec's ATF as well. I'm going to be giving Amsoil MTF a try soon.

I had Amsoil ATF in there before and shiffing was much better than stock.

The Amsoil site also lists their ATF for your 2002 F-150.

Manual Transmission,5-SPD Mazda.....MA
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

Quote:

The Amsoil site also lists their ATF for your 2002 F-150.

Yes, but my question is WHY does Ford say use ATF and can I use a thin gear oil like Redline 70w80 instead?

I suppose I could use AMSOIL ATD Torque-Drive fluid.

There are a number of different syncho designs and materials used in manual transmissions. It's best to stick to the fluid, or at least the type of fluid that the manufacturer recommends as that will be what was used to validate. You can change fluids and get away with it but equally you run the risk of problems. Poor shift quality you can feel but excessive synchro wear you cannot detect until it's too late

A large majority of aluminum case transmissions these day's take ATF. It has been like that for a good many years.

With only one fluid to stock for the power steering, automatic trannys, and manual trannys, huge savings were realized. Plus, less mistakes.
Car mfrs. are going the other way now, by using specific fluids for different components.
ATF was never a great manual tranny oil - only adequate. Barely.

Quote:

Quote:

Or you could use ART or MTF (my two recommendations)

MTF doesn't mention Mercon compatibility, and ART specifically says do not use in transmissions requiring Mercon.

MTF
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

ART
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/art.aspx

You did say MANUAL transmission, didn't you? I can tell you right here and now, the 5sp manual transmission will not grenade if you don't use Mercon. In fact, if you properly venture away from the spec - you just may see some improvement in wear and shifting. If you want to stick with Mercon then go ATD. The Mercon statement on ART is for AT's.

Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF, Torco MTF, Pennzoil/Texaco Synchromesh, RoyalPurple SynchroMax,..... are all options to consider. Thicker ATFs, like racing or hightemp ATF, can also be used. Pennzoil highmileage ATF, Redline Racing ATF, as well as ANY normal synthetic ATF, can also be tried.

Some manuals are pretty picky with shift quality, especially when cold. A couple of the above might be a little thicker then required. Since your location is in Texas, I don't expect issues.

Some manual transmissions are designed for ATF. Their load pattern, gear design, gear strength, are all taken into consideration when spec'ing a fluid. Thinner fluids lead to easier shifts for the wimpy consumer. And, thinner fluids lead to better MPG for the enviromentalists.

Don't go too thick. Some lubrication channels don't tolerate the reduced flow of thicker oils. I would NOT use a 90wt in a manual requiring ATF.

The recipe for long lasting manuals is quality fluids with a reasonable change interval. I prefer <30k change intervals depending on transmission and usage.

My Contour SE had a getrag 5 speed that used ATF plus 1 ounce of Ford friction modifier. I used Mobil 1 ATF and added the friction modifier. Second owner (son-in-law) has 165K mi. on the car with no problems.

Quote:

My Contour SE had a getrag 5 speed that used ATF plus 1 ounce of Ford friction modifier. I used Mobil 1 ATF and added the friction modifier. Second owner (son-in-law) has 165K mi. on the car with no problems.

Ditto, used the same formula in my 5.0 mustang for 10 years,never had any problems and shifted very smooth.

Quote:

You did say MANUAL transmission, didn't you? I can tell you right here and now, the 5sp manual transmission will not grenade if you don't use Mercon. In fact, if you properly venture away from the spec - you just may see some improvement in wear and shifting. If you want to stick with Mercon then go ATD. The Mercon statement on ART is for AT's.

Given the choice, which would be your 1st recommendation:

Amsoil ATF

Amsoil ATD Torque-Drive

Amsoil ART Super Shift

Black T - But how much better would it have been?
An improvement is guaranteed because of the better AW , AF , and friction modification of better fluids.

I had a 1989 ford thunderbird supercoupe with a m5r2 mazda manual trans.

It was speced for mercon back then as well.

Just use what the book specs.

I've been using Mercon V in manual transmissions that call for Mercon. Mercon V seems to have better low-temperature properties than Mercon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back