Motorcycle headlamps designed to strobe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A late-model Honda Goldwing was behind me on the highway today, and the headlamps were "strobing" in the manner of an emergency vehicle. Both headlamps strobed together (that is, there was no wig-wag effect). At first I thought that vibration from the motorcycle was causing this, but it was too regular—about two "strobes" per second. Besides, the Goldwing is well known for being a smooth touring bike anyway. I noticed the lamps themselves were distinctly brightening and dimming as the bike passed.

I must say I found the effect distracting and annoying after I realized that the biker wasn't a cop trying to pull me over. (This is as bad as DRLs when they first appeared as high beams at 90% brightness before the feds required that they be dimmer on newer cars. The glare in the rear view mirror was annoying, even during full daylight.) The distraction factor and mistaking a bike equipped this way for an emergency vehicle would make strobing headlamps less safe, I would think.

This was a civilian Goldwing painted yellow, so it definitely wasn't a police or other emergency bike. Is this strobe effect something standard or optional on certain bikes? Or is it an aftermarket modification? And is this even legal?

I see them all the time out here in California. I am not sure if it is OEM yet but there are aftermarket products out there that do it.

It did it's job. Sorry you were annoyed but he got your attention. The CC Rider course told us specifically to drive with the High Beams on during the day. They said they would rather you irritate a few drivers and be noticed then be more polite and dead.

I've seen a few in Texas. I ride a motorcycle and find them annoying also. If there is one in the group I ride with, I ride behind him. But they do draw attention.

I've got the "blue" Xenon stock headlights on my BMWK1200LT. I think some car drivers think I'm riding with my brights on and get flashed around sunrise and sunset. They are a big improvement over halogen. If I'm riding in a large group that wants to stay together, I usually ride last as I am the easiest to spot and differentiate.

those are stupid. ive seen dumb automobile motorists watching the strobing motorcycle headlight instead of the road, and then read end someone.

so to me it seems, a strobing headlight may reduce the chances of a motorcycle accident, but increases the risk of car accidents via stupid people watching the light flash and not paying attention.

trading 1 type of risk for another is wrong, and as a motorcyclist myself, i object to this. when a person chooses to ride a motorcycle this is a huge risk compared to a car. you deal with that risk not pass it onto comeone else.

Have to disagree. If anyone is stupid enough to stare at the headlights behind them long enough to lose track of the car in front of them, shame on them, should they be on the road? I am totally for it. If it is annoying, then at least you see the bike. That’s the problem with cagers, they don’t look for bikes. If I #@$%! you off a little, you will know where I am until I am out of your view. That’s exactly why I wear a bright yellow jacket, and ride a neon green bike.

Got no quibble with motorcycle riders trying to make themselves more visible, since they do have problems from car drivers, but this isn't the best way. The distraction comes from trying to determine whether the bike with strobing lamps is (1) a cop pulling you over or (2) the biker trying to pass you by flashing his high beams, when neither is true. That's why "stupid" car drivers would watch bikes' strobing headlamps. It's really not that stupid after all. If headlamp modulators are going to appear on more motorcycles, an education program for all motor vehicle operators about their existence would be useful. I certainly didn't know of their existence before, and if I had been warned, I would not have been surprised and distracted.

The long-term solution is to get the dimwit drivers off the road. That would make the roads safer for bikers. But don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

I never found this distracting, actually every time I see it I find that I do notice the bike earlier. I think it's a good idea.

I drive 4 hours everyday on Los Angeles highways. I've seen these lights and think they are a good idea.

I've seen several motorcycle accidents and had one happen in front of me (200 ft) where a minivan darted (illegally - without blinker) into the next lane knocking the motorcycle rider off his bike (survived with blood & bad concussion - he was crying really hard too). I braked locking and ruining all 4 of my tires to avoid running the guy over. Kept my car there blocking the downed rider from traffic till the police came.

I think they are a good idea but really **** annoying. lol. They do their job - you notice the motorcycle. Once you witness a motorcycle accident I think you will agree these lights are definitely a good thing.

People that I've been passenger with (that don't ride bikes), usually comment "look, that guys head light is screwed up". Not sure if that means he got noticed more or not?

IMO, I know some MC saftey instructers teach using the high beams during daylight. IMO thats OK to a point. One thing I try to do in traffic is position so I can see the driver of the car I'm near or behind in his mirror. If I can see him, he can see me. If your doing this for any length of time a high beam aimed at him good annoy him and make him react in any sort of manner. maybe spped up when you pass, or not let you pass, or whatever. Right or wrong he's bigger than you, so if your riding defensivly, you may not want to have apulsing high beam "in his face".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back