Subaru Lifter? Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car has 130,000 miles and has a sound that seems to be valves or lifters. It gets quieter as it warms but never goes away. Mobil 1 for 105,000 miles. Any ideas on cause or solution? arx or risolone perhaps?

Thanks,

Mark

It is a 1999 outback sport auto with the 2.2 the noise is under load and goes with the speed. I have heard it can be valve or clogged lifter oil passages.

Thanks

Usually a sticky lifter will make noise at idle when the oil pressure is low. Sure it's not a cv joint clicking? Other thing would be a rod bearing but it probably wouldn't get quieter?

ARX then try a thicker oil, GC or RTS.

These engines are also known for piston slap and loose timing belt tensioners making noise that people think is the lifters. If it gets quieter as it warms my vote is for piston slap.

I think its piston slap aswell. Not uncommon for a subaru mechanic to swap collapsed cylinders on low mileage flat4's.

Crank seals get rock hard a puke oil common too.

Quote:

Rislone didn't help any with my occasional startup lifter noise. ARX seems to be doing a much better job.

Which Rislone?..... the thinner viscosity quart bottle works better than the half-quart concentrate. Give it the maximum dose too.

The last time I heard a tick in my beater Caravan, I added the 16 oz bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
piston slap is common, pistons have no skirts on this motor. no evidence of failures, tho.

I checked valves at 80,000 D.C. miles, all to spec. the ej22 has a great rep amoung sooby loyalists as a great motor.

mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back