SOPUS marketing overload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone see Harvick's #29 at the shootout? SOPUS overload - main sponsor is Shell with Pennzoil logos. Pennzoil has not been a main sponsor in a couple years but is a secondary sponsor for several teams. Now they got RCR. What are your comments?

Well, Shell wanted to get back into NASCAR. They gave up their secondary Pennzoil sponsorship on Rousch and I personally think that was a mistake. They are still a secondary sponsor for Hendricks with Quaker State

I have very mixed feelings about the way Harvick's car looks. When you see the car, then see the way the pit crew was dressed, there is no doubt who owns what.

Now, Pennzoil has a very long racing history and since that is Shell's premier automotive oil, they wanted to showcase the name.

As for as what kind of oil they are using, well it is a special racing oil made by Shell. Since the car has large ovals on it and says PENNZOIL on the hood, it's naturally Pennzoil Racing Oil, just like the oil being used in the Hendrick's Chevrolets is Quaker State Racing Oil. The oil is designed and made by Shell at the Westhollow Research facility in Southwest Houston.

Johnny, have you ever been to one of SOPUS's research facilities? Are they state of the art?

I have attened two technical schools at their Westhollow facility in Southwest Houston. The place looks like a small city or a college campus. State of the art would be an extreme under statement. Shell has it's act together for sure.

Johnny and Buster - I worked at Westhollow from 1981 to 2004. In the time I was there it went from a first class research center to providing technical support to the US Shell locations. Most of the research is now done in Europe.

I suppose they will now raise the price of Platinum to pay for the new sponsorship....

Quote:

I suppose they will now raise the price of Platinum to pay for the new sponsorship....

That's why I quit using Valvoline, Havoline, and Mobil oils: The companies seemed more concerned with the money of sponsoring the race teams, and less concerned about getting the product to the consumer. Example: I could never find Mobil's High Mileage 5w30, so went with their Clean 5000 5w30. Then that started disappearing, went to another oil, then the Clean 5000 5w30 started showing up again.
confused.gif
crazy.gif
Now I stick with Castrol, but would use Pennzoil if need be.
approved.gif

Quote:

Quote:

That's why I quit using Valvoline, Havoline, and Mobil oils: The companies seemed more concerned with the money of sponsoring the race teams, and less concerned about getting the product to the consumer. Example: I could never find Mobil's High Mileage 5w30, so went with their Clean 5000 5w30. Then that started disappearing, went to another oil, then the Clean 5000 5w30 started showing up again.
confused.gif
crazy.gif
Now I stick with Castrol, but would use Pennzoil if need be.
approved.gif

Ever watch NHRA...Castrol is there...also in motorcycles heavy....if they didn't advertise...sells go down...fact of life.

I really like the new color scheme of the #29 car, then again I've always been partial to the Shell logo & colors. Just so happens my fav driver is Harvick...so it was a good weekend for me.
ooo.gif

Congrats to Pennzoil, even if thay had to run over an old man to get there (lol). I'd sure like to see some new winners in NASCAR. I'll bet RCR is happy to have finally made it back. Last year they won qualifing and lost the race, and this year they figured out that the other way is better. You see, nothing get by Richard if you give him some time.

The world's most popular racing and second most popular sport is Formula 1. Just not in the USA. What is spent there is a drop in the bucket compared NASCAR.

Oil sponsors in F1:
Marlboro Ferrari - Shell
Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes - Mobil 1 (E-M)
Panasonic Toyota - Esso (E-M)
ING Renault - elf (Total)
Honda F1 - Eneos Japan
AT&T Williams-Toyota - Petrobras Brazil
BMW- Petronas Malaysia

Amazing what Shell spends in F1 with Ferrari as an associate compared to what a primary sponsor is in NASCAR. Much bigger. Seems ridiculous to me.

Things have changed, but years ago there were Indycar teams with oil sponsors that were using Mobil 1 and Redline instead of their sponsors. They just poured the stuff into the sponsors bottles. NASCAR teams did the same later.

Virtually all professional racing teams use synthetic.

Bobby Unser openly admits he used to pour out his sponsors oil and pour in Amsoil into those bottles in his garage and then take them to the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back