shell 1375.4 atf fluid = dexron vi??

Status
Not open for further replies.
just found some interesting reading. the new 6 speed zf transmissions don't use the esso fluid anymore. I have been trying to find a suitable replacement for the atf in my 06' 330i and this might be it.

DEXRON VI

GM has announced that all new model cars manufactured with the new 6 speed automatic transmission will now be required to use the new DEXRON VI transmission fluid. Australian made Holden’s will also be switching to the new 6 speed automatic transmission. DEXRON III will be obsolete by the end of 2006. The new DEXRON VI fluid will be backward compatible with all GM vehicles using DEXRON II & III.

Atlantic will commence manufacture of the new DEXRON VI as soon as vehicles released in Australia require it. Atlantic will still continue to manufacture DEXRON II & III for those customers not requiring the more expensive DEXRON VI.

There are many advantages in the new fluid namely a 400,000 km drain interval in Holden vehicles. This is due to the latest hydrocracked & synthetic base oils being used.

Some specific applications include:

All Holden Commodore/Statesman/HSV automatic transmissions.
All GMC light trucks (incl Suburban).
All Toyota Lexcen automatic transmissions.
Ford Falcon/Fairlane/XR/LTD BF series and Territory SY series with 6 speed automatic transmissions.
Audi/VW G 055005A2/G 055162A2.
BMW 8322 0142516.
Jaguar Fluid 8342.
Land Rover Shell ATF M-1375.4.
VW/Audi G055025
ZF 6HP 19, 19A, 26, 26A61, 26X, 32 and 32A transmissions.

http://www.atlanticlubricants.com.au/news.htm

Yes, similar to DexronVI/MerconSP/ToyotaWS for thinner MPG improving ATF but possible better. If you look at the Pennrite Dexron VI, its a clone to the above atlantic quote.

Its a synthetic blend. Pour point, flash point, and 40C numbers look similar to DexronVI.

Someone here should be able to pick apart the mineral/synth blend from this MSDS:
http://www.equivashellmsds.com/getsinglemsds.asp?ID=195852

GM is one of our customers at work. They developed this Dexron VI so they could have 1 fluid for all their vehicles and be able to go with longer drain intervals. But the 100,000 mile interval is a bit longer than I would do. Those new 6 speed automatics will shear this fluid a lot more than the older model 4 speeds. It's great ATF but 100k is a bit long for me. I would be more inclined to change it at 50,000.

1375.4 is not the same as DEXRON-VI. It might look similar in some respects but the two fluids are not interchangable.
Go to the ZF website and look under the service information at page TE-ML-11, there you will find the correct part numbered fluids for your transmission.
Oh, by the way the DEXRON-VI products are actually quite shear resistant and very stable in oxidation. 100k is no problem.

Has anyone tested the interchangeability of 1375 and D-VI?
If GM develope D-VI for all their vehicles, why do they still run 3309 in the AW boxes? Why are certain D-III Saturn transmission not included in the TSB?
And, why would a 6 speed shear the fluid more?

Quote:

If GM developed D-VI for all their vehicles, why do they still run 3309 in the AW boxes?

The AW boxes require a HFM (high friction modifier) fluid (T-IV,3309). Dex6 is not a HFM fluid and couldn't be and maintain backwards compatability with DexII/III.

Says who? Most older transmissions don't have issues with HFM level. If anything, an HFM fluid would make an older transmission shift a little smoother.
Mercon-V and ATF Z1 are two fluids that are HFM'd that back spec really well! Plus, the aftermarket is filled with multivehicle HFM'd fluids that also can be used in various new/old transmissions.

When does 'all' not mean 'all'? when GM uses it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back