Does the FS2500 really remove soot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Oilguard bypass but my oil is always black. I'm disgusted with Oilguards filter price increase and am considering the FS 2500. I noticed that the housing and filter (no hoses or connection fittings) sell for less than $250 on EBAY. I was wondering if I can use my Oilguard hoses/fittings to hook up the FS2500.

Well, to quote the FS2500 people:

"Sir, the custom kit for your pickup costs $429.00, this is a savings of $100.00 for a limited time. Replacement filters are $26.95 each and last 10,000 miles. Shipping is $25.00.
Jim Williamson"

And, checking the OilGuard web site, their replacement filters (EPS-20F) are $24 each, plus shipping, in packs of three or twelve.

So, if it's the replacement filter price that you're concerned with, you'd be jumping from the frying pan into the fire by changing to the FS2500. Plus, you'd spend the "less than $250 on EBAY" for the privilege.

Fleetguard has a StrataPore full flow filter (LF3974) that might add some filtering to help the OilGuard. I just bought some for my truck. I don't have a bypass oil filter on mine, yet. Still trying to decide which one, if any, to use.

Just a thought, but is the OilGuard housing getting hot after the engine reaches operating temp? If it's not getting oil flow, it won't. The video on the FS2500 web site shows black hydraulic fluid being cleaned to clear, but I don't pretend to know if that proves anything.

I forgot to add the shipping prices that an OilGuard rep sent me. Not bad, overall.

"Shipping and handling for the EPS-20-7.3 will be $13.33. The unit with three replacement elements will be $14.54. Three replacement elements alone will be $10.40."

I'm more concerned that Oilguard filters used to be $10 each if bought 3 at a time, now they are $24. The oil analysis comes out fine, but my oil is never clean looking.

I see what you mean about the cost of the OilGuard filters! I didn't know that they were selling recently for only $10. But, the replacement elements for the FS2500 are still more expensive.

Frankly, if it were me and the oil analyses were coming out fine I don't think that I'd worry about what the oil looked like. The oil analysis equipment is a lot more precise than the eyeball. And, if the oil analysis is that good, the engine will probably outlast the chassis or the body of the truck.

I'm actually thinking about using the Baldwin bypass filter setup that is "only" rated to filter down to 2 microns. The difference between 1 and 2 microns just doesn't seem to justify the additional expenses involved.

Well, I quoted "2 microns" in my last post, for the Baldwin B50, but I'm not sure how well they filter. I've heard 2 microns and I've heard 3 microns. I finally found a place to e-mail one of the manufacturer's techs. If they answer me, I'll post their comments here.

Well, I got an answer from Gina Johnikins, at Hastings:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Good Morning,

The micron rating of the B50 is 2 and it is 98.75% efficient at this micron size.

Thanks for the inquiry,
Gina

>>> "LuckyDog" 01/20/07 08:17PM >>>
What is the filtration efficiency level of the B50 bypass filter? "

Sounds good to me! I guess that settles which setup I'm going with.

They will remove soot that has agglomerated (soot particles that have stuck together), but your oil will still turn black because soot is submicronic in size.

About the only filter commercially available I know of capable of submicronic filtration is a Frantz TP filter and oil will still turn black with them.

I run a Amsoil EaBP100 on my 04.5 600CTD (the later emissions engine, not the earlier non-emissions ones) and even with a 2 micron absolute filter, my oil tunrs black as coal within 200 miles. But if you hold a sample of the oil up to light on a clear surface or a clear container, it is still clear/clean at 10k.

You are not really worried about the individual soot particles. But you are worried about those that have agglomerated, which most bypass filters will catch.

steved

I don't think Gina at Hastings understands what she's talking about.

I have a copy of the B50 data sheet from Baldwin and it states the filter performance at a beta ratio of 75 to be 15 microns. The technical way of expressing that performance is B(15)=75 but that's just a fancy way of saying that it captures 98.7% (74/75) of particles 15 microns and larger.

The datasheet had no information on particle size (x) at a beta ratio of 2 (50% or nominal efficiency), B(x)=2 for the technically minded. In short, a Baldwin B50 is not a good bypass filter, but it's much better than any full-flow filter.

The datasheet had a place for the micron size at a beta ratio of 2 but the field contained no data. Perhaps Gina is confusing the beta=2 with particle size=2. Regardless, the B50 does NOT filter 98.7% of particles greater than 2 micron.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Quote:

Well, I got an answer from Gina Johnikins, at Hastings:
"Good Morning,

The micron rating of the B50 is 2 and it is 98.75% efficient at this micron size.

Thanks for the inquiry,
Gina

>>> "LuckyDog" 01/20/07 08:17PM >>>
What is the filtration efficiency level of the B50 bypass filter? "

Sounds good to me! I guess that settles which setup I'm going with.

Quote:

In short, a Baldwin B50 is not a good bypass filter, but it's much better than any full-flow filter.

Thanks for the clarification. The email data did seem too good to be true ..but it would be hard to challenge it if your only source is going to be the same tech rep.

So ..the filter is just like Wix or Donaldson ..or any of the other spin-on bypass filters. Way better then a full flow (as you stated) ..but hardly any "bargain" in truly fine filtration. You still run into the filtration triangle (size/fine filtering/holding capacity) with cost being the 4th element. You have to graduate to SYNTEQ (or like) media to escape it ..and at a cost that may make it impractical for the common consumer to take advantage of.

..and
welcome.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back