Mobil 1 - Las Vegas Taxi Field Test Video & Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the 15,000 mile oil drain interval becomes the norm worldwide the argument will not be between the 3000 mile versus the 15,000 mile oil change but rather the argument will be between the 15,000 and the 30,000 mile oil change as to which regimen provides the best engine protection.

Quote:

Hey Bill, is it that hard for you to understand such a simple concept?

More money for a synthetic = less oil changes. It's that simple Bill.
laugh.gif

Bill not all of us like to get under the car every 2 weeks because we drive so #@$%! much. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Take care,
Buster!
thumbsup.gif

Nope, But the Mobil 1 video above did nothing for that. They are showing that the ONLY way to get better engine life is to run Mobil 1. Any other oil your engine will not last as long.

If you want to run Mobil 1 EP 15k miles great!

But, your engine will still have typical varnish (or more likely to have it) MAYBE last as long as someone who changes their oil per the owners manual OCI.

Also, anyone who has a warrenty should make sure they read what Mobil states about running 15k Mobil 1 EP... (they state NOT to exceed the MFG OCI)
nono.gif

And they state with their 5000 oil you can run it longer that 5000 miles if your manual states you can run longer.

Buster, all I'm saying is just because you spend $5+ a quart for oil, your NOT going to get a engine that lasts longer or be cleaner than folks who buy the $2 a quart oil and change it often.

And you know as well as I we get folks who post here with their Honda Civic (or other non force fed engine) and change Mobil 1 every 3-5k because they want their engine to last.

I'm just trying to say is you can run ANY oil 3-5k and your engine will last.
cheers.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

PS: I drive more than most here and I only change my oil every 6-8 weeks... Who is changing every 2 weeks? (and since a oil change is every 3-5k thats 26 oil changes and thats 78 thousand to 130 THOUSAND miles a year...)
confused.gif

Quote:

In Europe the 15,000 mile drain interval is considered the average conventional drain interval with 10,000 miles for severe service and 20,000 miles for normal service. Therefore a conventional oil should be able to last 15,000 miles.

Hello?

This is USA.

Got it?

Good..

Stop with the in Europe and post something that matters in the USA.

Quote:

Therefore a conventional oil should be able to last 15,000 miles.

We know where you at...
crazy.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

Buster, all I'm saying is just because you spend $5+ a quart for oil, your NOT going to get a engine that lasts longer or be cleaner than folks who buy the $2 a quart oil and change it often.

And you know as well as I we get folks who post here with their Honda Civic (or other non force fed engine) and change Mobil 1 every 3-5k because they want their engine to last.

I'm just trying to say is you can run ANY oil 3-5k and your engine will last.

Bill, I apologize. I agree with you! All I was saying is that for those that drive a heck of a lot, it sometimes pay to use a synthetic to cut down on oil changes. Thats all. Peace brother!
cheers.gif

It is understandable that Mobil would tell individual motorists not to extend drain intervals while under new car warranty because an individual can become easily intimidated by dealers looking for excuses to deny warranty coverage. However it has never been Mobil's policy to prohibit extended drain intervals as far as commercial fleets are concerned and there is a long track record of Mobil encouraging extended drain intervals in commercial vehicles while the vehicles are under warranty.

Consumer Reports did a study a few years back testing several brands of conventional motor oil and Mobil 1 and I think at least one other synthetic motor oil. They claim that they really did not see much difference between any of the motor oils, including the synthetic and conventional oils.

Personally myself I think a synthetic oil is certainly going to provide better service in extreme cold and in extreme heat. And also in extreme service conditions such as towing. But than again we may have seen a change in the synthetic oils themselves-they may now be Group III to at least some extent. There may not be extreme difference between a Group II conventional motor oil and a Group III synthetic oil.

In the film, they talked about doing 15,000 mile oil changes with the Mobil 1. This is fine with the Mobil 1 but a conventional motor oil would probably require at least twice as many oil changes. You can't really expect a conventional motor oil to hold up for 15,000 miles. In another part of the film they seemed to be saying that the conventional oil WAS changed more often. They needed to make it clear.

Even if Mobil 1 has become a Group III oil it probably still is better than the typical conventional motor oil. The Mobil 1 may have better additives and even if it is now mostly Group III it may have some PAO. The engine they examined where Mobil 1 had been used did look somewhat dirty to me. Maybe maintenance doses of Auto-RX would help.

I'm surprised they had sludge in 15k miles with conventional oil. I ran mine out to 10k a few times with mostly 1-2 mi trips and my camshafts look similar to theirs...only a light coating of varnish.

Perhaps those Toyota 4-cyls are really hard on oil?

Yeah ..but you've got some sympathetic karma going with cars. You take beating in the social arena to "pay it back" into the karma bank that you keep withdrawing from.
laugh.gif

Quote:

When the 15,000 mile oil drain interval becomes the norm worldwide the argument will not be between the 3000 mile versus the 15,000 mile oil change but rather the argument will be between the 15,000 and the 30,000 mile oil change as to which regimen provides the best engine protection.

For those European 15,000 mile oil drain intervals, name the car, the sump size, whether there's an oil cooler and/or OLM included, and the oil specifications required by the manufacturer.

Quote:

How could the comparison be fair when the dino oil was run for 15,000 mile inervals? If you look close the heads on the taxi run with m-1 were not spotless. They looked like some varnish was present.

Exactly. Who in their right mind would run conventional oil 15,000 miles?

If Mobil wants to play that game, they should have run the Mobil 1 out to 45,000 miles since they ran the conventional oil 3x longer than it should have been run. Wonder what the inside of the Mobil 1 engines would have looked like then?
smirk.gif

I’d sure like to know what they used for a conventional 5w-30 and when the test was run. One hopes they didn’t hunt for some SM Grp I+ 5w-30 piled up with additives for the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back