4.6L stroker in Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have myself a '04 Rubicon
118171371-M.jpg

Stroked the 4.0L to a 4.6L. I ran Chevron 10w30 for break-in, Purolator or Napa filters, and once I reached 10,000km's I'm running Amsoil 10w30 with a large Donaldson filter for surface area and increased crankcase capacity, which is now 7 quarts a change.

The motor is balanced/blueprinted, professionally built, no corners cut. I do believe I'm using a great oil, the group IV 10w30, not the XL, but I wasn't sure if a 10w30 grade would be the best for me. Many have said I need to run a 10w40 since it's a 270hp plus "performance straight 6", I don't particularly want to since thicker oil takes more to pump which creates less milage and a static hp loss (if I'm using the right terminology here).

If I did change grades it would be Amsoil again, but not sure which Amsoil 10w40 would be the best for me.

Also, I have the Amsoil by-pass system on the shelf waiting to go in, with the monster 4 quart bypass filter. I plan on doing a UOA soon to see how things are working out.

So, what do you guys think, is a 10w30 fine, should I run a thicker 10w40?

Beautiful Jeep!!

I like the really high VI oils, 0w-30 and 5w-40 for my 4.0. This helps to keep startup wear to a minimum, while offering the full-operating-temp viscosity that these engines seem to prefer. I also like the idea of adding an oil-to-water heat exchanger, which heats the oil to its full-operating-temp viscosity quickly during warm up, and unloads some heat from the oil to the cooling system during hard use. I would install a mopar oil-to-water heat exhanger and use a high VI group IV with a good filter.

Gary Allen will probably chime in, he's very knowledgeable regarding Jeeps and the aforementioned heat exchangers.

Last edited:
Glad you guys like it, the 14 months it has undergone a huge transformation. I also plan on an alum head and roller rockers, along with a 3-core alum rad with a 16" electric puller, and probly a 9-12" pusher. I have a 160A alternator so there's power to spare.

The rollerized top end will drop oil temps and extend valvetrain longevity, these heavier springs that were recommended with the camshaft has created earlry wear on the rocker arm fulcrums by 30-40k.

This Jeep will be used for a 25,000km/15,625mile round trip in a few years from central BC, to Cabo San Lucas, to Cancun and back, I want my Jeep 100%.

Regarding the bypass, do you recommend pre-filling like Amsoil does, or overfilling the crankcase and letting the filter fill itself. I've read discussions recarding contaminents getting in the oil filter on the clean side though pre-filling.

Awsome! Long live the inline 6! I'd say stick with the 30 weight Amsoil or maybe go to Rotella T 5W40 synthetic. But Canada - BRRRRRR! Is that thing torquey or what?
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Craxymike that is an awesome jeep. How do you like the stroker?

That thing is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!

Will you be starting in sub zero (below 0 degrees F) weather?
I would consider Amsoil S3000 5w-30 in that case. Don't let the 5w part scare you, it's THICKER at operating temps than the ATM 10w-30 but will crank and pump better in cold weather. Best oil Amsoil makes IMO.

Check out XD3 0W40 or 0W30 and do a 5000 miles OCI and sample the oil. Lets see what this engine actualy likes. We could guess all day long but I think a UOA is in order. XD3 is affordable by Candian oil price standards and has a great track record.

Oh if Rotella-T Synthetic in 5W40 is affordable it would probably work well. How cold does it get in your part of Canada because we have to take the harsh Canadian winters in to the equation as well. If it gets too cold you might try Amsoil Seires 3000 5W30 it is a robust 5W30!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back