Honda antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly Type I. Tell us what the front of the jug says. Does it say Type I or Type II? Type I isn't extended life, but Type II is IIRC.

Quote:

On the back it says the coolant will give protection for 3 years or 72,900km.

Then you have the wrong coolant. Type II will say on the back that it is good for five years or 96,000 KM after the initial service. The front label will also say premixed, do not add water.

Quote:

Sure, and you believe in the tooth fairy too.

It just doesn't cost that much to do a coolant change. Why not do it from time to time to be sure instead of hoping that the automaker was over optimistic.

And buying OE coolant isnt too expensive either. Given that you can only get 50/50, your best bet IMO is to just drin and refill the radiator yearly...

It isnt going to break the bank to buy a $13 gallon of 50/50 honda OE vs. an $11 gallon of undiluted G-05, which is not the correct spec and has no real similarity to the chemistry in there... and which youll have to sit on a half-a-gallon for the next year...

JMH

Well they said I can exchange the coolant for the type 2. He said I would have to flush all the old coolant to be able to use type 2...which I planned to flush my system anyways.

Now I have a jug of distilled water with nothing to do.

Got the new jugs...they look just the same, in the black jugs except it has a blue cap and says type 2. Cost me twice the amount as the other version.

So how important is it for me to get as much of the old coolant out as possible. If I use a water flush, how much water will be left in the system? Should I just use some excess type 2 coolant to help flush out the old coolant?

I will also be replacing my thermostat, should I also replace the upper and lower rad hose?

The only reason you need to flush the system is to remove the old coolant so that you may take advantage of the extended service life.

If you drain the radiator AND the engine block, you should remove nearly all of the coolant anyway. Just refill with as much Type II again after draining both of those items and not worry about another radiator service for four to five years.

I did mine early and just drained both radiator and block then refilled with Honda type II. If you flush you will have slightly less than 50/50 mix. I don't think you can find any Honda that is not pre mixed so you can't adjust if you want a perfect 50/50 mix. It might be close you would have to find a spectrometer to tell and still you couln't find any to add that is not premixed.

If the old fluid is not real bad you should be good just repacing it.

Hoses should be good for more than 5 years some say 10 years.

PS. V6 is a pain to get to block drain.

Does anyone know who the supplier of the OEM type II coolant is? Perhaps you can get the concentrated stuff straight from them, or at least cheaper 50/50... ?

That Honda coolant thing is copyright 1995. Hasn't what is available in the coolant aisle at the local Wal-Mart changed just a tad in the 12 years since then? Their main issue is that other coolant contains silicates. I think you'd have to look pretty hard to find a coolant that contains silicates these days--other than G05 and store brands like Proline, most are OAT coolants. I don't think Wal-Mart sells a single brand of coolant that contains silicates. At least there is none that I can think of offhand that does. Their store brand doesn't, Prestone doesn't, Peak doesn't, and of course Dex-Cool doesn't.

Quote:

PS. V6 is a pain to get to block drain.

I didn't think it was too bad to get to. Unless I am thinking of a different one. The one I took out was on the LH side of the engine or rad side. Getting it loose was another story. I was a little nervous whacking my breaker bar with a dead-blow hammer to get the plug out to install a block heater.

Oh, I would say use the Honda stuff too. I kinda like the blue color.
cool.gif

The owner's manual for my 2001 CL shows where the engine drain plug is located (and describes the whole procedure in detail), and I expect the Honda OM also has it. You can use the same hose used for bleeding brakes to drain it without the giant tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back