Who makes Honda Type-2 Coolant?

I swear I searched the Internet and could not find this answer. Does anyone know where the Honda branded coolant comes from (i.e., Idemitsu makes Honda ATF DW-1)? My first hunch was Zerex because the bottles are freaking identical but that doesn't seem to be the case based on what I could find.

I would love to throw Zerex blue in my 2012 Civic and not think twice about it like I do Zerex red in my Camry, but putting non-Honda fluids in the Civic doesn't let me sleep well at night.

This is from 2015 .
Says some company named : CCI Mfg IL Corp

1697775772543.jpg

I might give them a call later to find out if they still make it and/or sell it under another name.
Post back here what they tell you. If there's anything unique about the Honda formulation (I doubt there is), they're not selling it under different names. They might tell you they make coolant for O'Reilly, Hyundai, etc but that's not what you want to know.

Zerex asian is the appropriate coolant for the civic. You don't need to be worried about using it.
Only if you used the wrong coolant in the past would I worry, but then the damage had been done.

I swear I searched the Internet and could not find this answer. Does anyone know where the Honda branded coolant comes from (i.e., Idemitsu makes Honda ATF DW-1)? My first hunch was Zerex because the bottles are freaking identical but that doesn't seem to be the case based on what I could find.

I would love to throw Zerex blue in my 2012 Civic and not think twice about it like I do Zerex red in my Camry, but putting non-Honda fluids in the Civic doesn't let me sleep well at night.

I've got this in my CRV and I'm sleeping fine:

And Maxlife in the transmission!

Super Tech contains 2-EHA. Not sure how they get away claiming it meets spec.
Same thing prestone does, i think prestone makes it for walmart.

But to reiterate, Zerex is good, equivalent, and compatible with Honda OEM.

Super Tech contains 2-EHA. Not sure how they get away claiming it meets spec.
Same thing prestone does, i think prestone makes it for walmart.

But to reiterate, Zerex is good, equivalent, and compatible with Honda OEM.

Ah I've only done a top off after a hose replacement on this thing. If I did a full flush I'd just convert it over to the Prestone 10yr/300k just to reduce the number of fluids I have around. Personally I'm not scared of 2-EHA although I know that's a hot topic.

I have used the Zerex also, but Honda transmissions in the pre - CVT era often had issues and were sensitive to non-honda fluid, so unless you are a true gambler, hard no on Maxlife ATF.
There are tons of folks on here and elsewhere running maxlife in the trans on Hondas. I did a fluid change every oil change for 4 oil changes so its pretty much 100% maxlife in there now and it is shifting great, began swapping it over 5yr/60k ago.

There are tons of folks on here and elsewhere running maxlife in the trans on Hondas. I did a fluid change every oil change for 4 oil changes so its pretty much 100% maxlife in there now and it is shifting great, began swapping it over 5yr/60k ago.
Yeah I’ve been using it essentially forever in my old Honda. No problems to note.

Post back here what they tell you. If there's anything unique about the Honda formulation (I doubt there is), they're not selling it under different names. They might tell you they make coolant for O'Reilly, Hyundai, etc but that's not what you want to know.

I called CCI Manufacturing directly and the phone person gave me an email address to send my question to, but my email was rejected on their end (as in their server blocked it from going through). I found their website and contact form and filled that out with my question, so if they ever get back to me I will update.

The Managing Director of the Germany branch of CCI Manufacturing got back to me with:

"Yes, it's Honda branded, so it's dedicated coolant."

And that's it. So I guess that specific formula is only sold in Honda bottles. I think. That answer was rather unsatisfying.

The Managing Director of the Germany branch of CCI Manufacturing got back to me with:

And that's it. So I guess that specific formula is only sold in Honda bottles. I think. That answer was rather unsatisfying.
I mean they don't have an option to sell directly to the consumer is what this is all telling you.
Its not rocket science as far as what they're producing, a lot of equivalent options on the market.

My local Honda dealer sells a gallon of Type 2 for around $18 and it's what I've used in my old Accord for over 15 years. I'm sure another suitable coolant would be fine as well, but I can tell you the insides of the engine coolant passages are pristine as well as what you can see in the radiator through the pressure cap. I change it out every three years or so via a drain-and-fill.

....I would love to throw Zerex blue in my 2012 Civic and not think twice about it like I do Zerex red in my Camry, but putting non-Honda fluids in the Civic doesn't let me sleep well at night.
Been doing it (using non-Honda fluids) for years in multiple Honda vehicles over significant miles. 01 Civic, 07 3.0L Accord using Maxlife FS MV ATF and Zerex ZAF AF, no issues to report.

I'd use Zerex Asian blue with complete confidence. Exactly what I did with the Accord a couple years ago with radiator d&f. Just for reference, closest Honda dealer wants $23 and change for Type II. While I got it for much less a couple years ago, looks like ZAF can still be purchased ~$20 and Peak OET Asian for even less. I'd use either one. Like Type lI, both are Asian P(h)oat AFs.

Since mentioned in the OP, while Idemitsu may make DW1 (IDK), analyses prove, the former does not have the same add package as DW1. Point being, wouldn't pay more Idemitsu Type H Plus than for any other aftermarket ATF just because of who makes DW1.

Ah I've only done a top off after a hose replacement on this thing. If I did a full flush I'd just convert it over to the Prestone 10yr/300k just to reduce the number of fluids I have around. Personally I'm not scared of 2-EHA although I know that's a hot topic.
Me neither.

Also maxlife in a crappy honda AT is gold

Back