What to use in a sewing machine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo.

Not trying to slam you. Your first post recommended Silicone lube as a general lube for the machine. You didn't specify it as for use on metal to non-metal bearings. There are metal on metal parts on pretty much every machine. Just trying to clarify that Silicone is not good for metal on metal. XS650 seems to have thought the same thing.
Just trying to offer a clarification.
cheers.gif

Fair enough - I should have said clearly that it's best to choose two lubes. One for the non-loaded areas near threads/cloth that is water white non-visible. Another for the hidden higher loaded/wear metal-metal areas.

Quote:

Yeah, I think silicon is a bad machinery lube too; I'm suprised Pablo hasn't chimed in on this one...

With the spilling on this bored, Eye'm surprised (knote spelling of the word surprised) anywon noticed.

Google will result in about 1.3 million hits for sewing machine oil. If you prefer an extended OCI, there are even synthetics like this from www.tsmoly.com:

TS-619 Sewing Machine Oil
15 Gallon Keg
[20-619-207]
$531.15
TS-619 Sewing Machine Oil

TS-619 Sewing Machine Oil is a crystal clear synthetic oil for the textile industry. It has a superior film forming ability.

Application

TS-619 is a very light oil for the textile industry.
Benefits

TS-619 is an ultra clear and thin oil, making it suitable for textile machines that spin, weave, knit, sew, cut, shape, etc. and that operate at high speeds and with close tolerances. It has a low volatility, excellent high temperature oxidation stability, and excellent viscosity/temperature characteristics.

Specifications
Oil Synthetic
Viscosity
@100°C 4.0
@40°C 18.0
Viscosity Index 120
Flash Point 218°C
Color < 0.5
Total acid number, mg. KOH/g 0.02

Here's another one. Look at the pour point! It could be used outdoors in Minnesota!

Look Pablo, it even has the 4-ball wear test!

AL-SEW-1-2/00

AMERILUBE - SEWING MACHINE OIL is a super premium, synthetic fluid with an advanced technology additive system. It is blended from the finest materials available and has been proven in countless hours of service in virtually every type of equipment. It is odorless and NON-STAINING.
AMERILUBE - SEWING MACHINE OIL gives outstanding service, even in the most severe operating conditions.
Viscosity Index 121
Viscosity cSt @ 40 13
Viscosity cSt @ 100C 3.2
Viscosity SUS @ 100C 69.45
Viscosity SUS @ 212 36.85
Flash Point 320F
Auto-Ignition Point 610
Pour Point -20
Four Ball, 40 Kg, 1200 RPM, 167
1 Hr, Scar Dia mm .48
Four Ball Weld Point, Kg 60
Copper Corrosion, 24 Hr 1a
Demulsibility, 130 40/40/40

Lubricant Designation
SEWING MACHINE OIL
Long Fluid Life Extremely High Film Strength
Excellent Rust Control Excellent Coolant Properties
Carbon & Varnish Control Good Dispersant Properties
Energy Savings
Reduced Maintenance Costs
Reduced Downtime
Reduced Lubricant Consumption
Reduced Misting
Outstanding Oxidation Stability
High Viscosity Index
High Flash & Auto Ignition Points
Very Low Volatility

Hi, This is Cheryl... Yuk's wife. I want to thank you for the overwhelming response to my question. I've heard the legend of BITOG, but never thought I'd get a chance to experience it myself! You guys really do take oil seriously.... and here I thought Yuk was a bit extreme with his oil-obsession! Maybe I should start a support group for all of the BITOG-widows out there.
beer.gif
Just kidding, at least you're not axe murderers..... right?!?

Hello Cheryl. Mama Bear's name is Cheryl also.
Often she stands over my shoulder when I'm on BITOG and says "I don't know how you can sit here for so long playing on this forum, Geez, it's just motor oil !!"
HA !!! ... just motor oil !! Therein lies her blindness.

And yes Cheryl, we are not axe murderers (not too sure about Obbop)
confused.gif

canada.gif
canada.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back