Snowblower oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Thanks Johnny

I had an accident over the summer that wrote-off the Sentra.
frown.gif
The first real accident I had since Reagan was President.

The topic of cars and related stuff just wasn't that much fun for a while.

daman, I'm using Rotella T as it's a cheaper synthetic. I change it annually ... right before I put the machine away.

--- Bror Jace

Thats what i'm thinking on(RTS),does your use any oil???

1976 Toro 8hp that I have run on Castrol GTX 5W-30 until a couple of years ago when I switched to GC 0W-30. Have never had an issue with consumption and it starts easily everytime with the electric starter. I will be switching to ESSO XD3 0W-30 this spring when I put it away for summer storage. GC is getting tooooo expensive.

Shell Rotella 5w-40 in my 30 year old John Deere snow thrower. Seems to do well on fuel blended with methanol and nitromethane-I had to get rid of some old model airplane fuel and am running it in all of my lawn and garden engines...luckily no need to richen mixture, I'm at 7400 ft altitude and was running pig rich before.

Right now I have Castrol 0W-30 in my Toro and I ran the same brand & weight last season. Before that I ran a castrol gtx 5w-30 each winter for the last 7 years.

daman, I'm using the 5W-40 RTS mainly due to price and availability. I haven't seen any burn or flash off yes ... but the machine is new (tight) and I don't leave the oil in long.

--- Bror Jace

Quote:

daman, I'm using the 5W-40 RTS mainly due to price and availability.
--- Bror Jace

I think thats why i'm going to try it out in the old girl.

hopefully it won't consume it..

My ~15 year old Noma (and I) got a several hour workout yesterday. Then it actually sheared the hardened 1/4" bolt that held the sprocket on the axle. I had to go into town to get a $.12 bolt and most of the other vehicles I saw had skis or plows on the front. I came home and finally finished up about 2200 last night!
beer.gif

Oil related discussion to keep it on topic: That was as hard as my snowblower has worked in several years. I was glad I had 0w40 rather than 5w20 in the case with as hard as it was working.
cheers.gif

We'll i just filled up with some RTS,,i though hard about
GC but because of price and availability i went with the
RTS 5w40,we'll see what happens...

thanks for your input.
cheers.gif

My snowblower is very similar (77 Ariens 5HP Tecumsesh) and the owners manual says 5W-20, which became unavailable for 20 or so years, until recently when it came back in VOGUE. I use Motorcraft 5W-30 semi-syn as my driveway is jumbo-sized for such a small machine and when it snows this little baby WORKS HARD!

I haven't fired up my snowblower this year yet ... not a flake to be seen anywhere near here.

But I did give my new-ish wood splitter a work-out on Sunday ... about 5.5 - 6 hours of continuous use, stopping only to refill it with gasoline. I think I filled it up with Chevron 10W-30 Supreme ... with maybe a dash of Delo 400 in 15W-40 ... back in May when I last changed the oil.

Machine has a B&S 12.5hp AVS engine. Despite nearly 6 hours at 100% throttle in one sitting, it consumed no noticeable amount of oil at the end of the day.

I broke this thing in really well. Ran it 2 hours then an oil change. 2 more hours, a 2nd oil change earlier this year. Ran it almost 6 more hours on Sunday ... gonna run it anout 1.5 this Saturday ... then change the oil a third time as I'll expect it will sit for quite a while (maybe several months or more) and there were still visible metal shavings in the 2nd oil change's drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back