How harmful is brake fluid to tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the brake lines on my Bronco a couple weeks ago, and got some brake fluid on the inside of the front tires. Most of it wiped off, but I was wondering if this would deteriorate the tire rubber.....?

Thanks for opinions,
TLR

There are any kinds of rubber and they differ in their reaction to petroleu products and other solvents.

In this case, the rubber in tires is only mildly reactive to brake fluid. So if you've wiped it off right away, there should be no problem. One way to tell if there is a problem is to see if the area of contact swells or cracks. If so, then the rubber has reacted and the tire should be replaced.

Thanks CapriRacer. The tires don't look harmed; just have black streaks where the brake fluid spilled on the inside sidewalls. I think I'll scrub them with some soapy water anyway.....

For years brake fluid was the prefered "tire shine" product for detailers and car dealers! Now there are a lot of products made especially for that purpose, but I doubt that an accidental spill is going to hurt anything (other than collecting dust, the main reason other products were marketed in the first place)!

bob

I was ________ when I accidentally allowed a drip of brake fluid to run down my fender. Paint GONE, all the way down to the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back