German Castrol (Castrol Syntec 0W30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've read a lot of good things about GC and was considering switching to it at my next OCI. Would you recommend GC in a Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 engine? Is 0W too thin for this engine especially in the summer? I'm currently using 10W30 Havoline (dino). Thanks.

I believe that in typical summer ambient temps, GC will be thicker than most 10W-30 oils. It's volatility is also low. It'll probably be fine, but my worry is you need warranty service, you might have to explain the choice of 0W-30 to the service manager. I've heard that some Honda owners have initially been denied warranty claims because they used Mobil 1 0W-20 when 5W-20 was recommended.

0W applies to a viscosity at -40C and -45C.

They would have to do some extensive testing to show what the *w rating is. Rumor now is that M1 5w-20 is a relabled 0w-20.
The GC should be fine in the 4.0, it tends to like a thicker oil.
I had some mild concern about it in my car for the same reason, but I am not worried about it now.

My Jeep is out of warranty. I currently have 97K miles so the dealer is not an issue. I'm going to try it at my next OCI if I can find some GC at Autozone. By the way, is GC 100% synthetic?

Yep, GC is indeed 100% synthetic, made with some very trick base oils actually, which allow it to flow very well in extreme cold, and yet also have a thicker viscosity than most other 30 wt oils (it's almost a 40wt oil) This oil uses no viscosity index improvers either, which is why it retains it's viscosity so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back