Found a ton of GC at local AZ but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... I don't know if i should buy it for my application (Nisaan VQ35de). The only thing I am weary of is the 0w part. I have been lurking for a while and heard that this motor needs a heavier oil, but what does the 0 from 0w30 mean?

GC is a heavy 30 wt (at 12.2 cST at 100ºC, if it were .4 cST more, it would be a 40 wt) so you have no worries in that regard. The 0W refers to its viscosity characteristics at -35ºC and -40ºC; at operating temperatures I guarantee you GC is NOT too thin.

As far as I know, all the "0w" means is that in winter conditions, the oil is still able to flow safetly down to -35 degrees centigrade. It should still be able to provide reasonable cold start protection and cranking speed down to such temps.

With this oil up to temp, it's a thick 30 weight.

Others will chime in as far as further "special" qualities.

When I first came around oils with a "0w" I was as confused as ever. Stick around and read on, for there is much to learn.

welcome.gif

The VQ35 calls for 5-30 dino oil. 0-30 synthetic is a perfectally OK substitute. with synthetic, you can stretch the range of viscosities greater and still have a superior quality oil than the dino. At least I think so, maybe the experts hear can chime in more on this?

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
GC is a heavy 30 wt (at 12.2 cST at 100ºC, if it were .4 cST more, it would be a 40 wt) so you have no worries in that regard. The 0W refers to its viscosity characteristics at -35ºC and -40ºC; at operating temperatures I guarantee you GC is NOT too thin.

I'm just curious...was my first email invisible?
grin.gif

So the 0 refers to pumpability? I guess since I make so many frequent trips that this will make it pump quickly- something I want.

I figure I will buy some of this oil. MO4XX is still the green right?

quote:

Originally posted by aualtima3.5:

Like the grass in Ireland, like the Opals in Alice Springs, like the....well, you get the idea.

quote:

quote:

I'm just curious...was my first email invisible?
grin.gif

No sir...I read it
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by aualtima3.5:
So the 0 refers to pumpability? I guess since I make so many frequent trips that this will make it pump quickly- something I want.

Please don't deplete my supply too much, bro.
nono.gif
Seriously, the M04 is the good stuff. Buy it up! Probably won't be long before we can only get the new Gold here and we just don't know about that yet.

Tennessee is still green.
grin.gif

Ive got two of these engines (well ones a Vq30de but same idea)

anyway both get M1 5w-30
this is for 3 reasons, first its still a great oil, seccond i have a bunch of those buy 3 get 3 free coupons, and third theres no gc near me :,(

but if i could get it i would not hesitate to use it.

Your VQ prefers a heavier 30 weight and this fit the bill. I believe that this is a better off the shelf choice than Mobil 1 (M1 runs on the thin side at 10.3 vs the 12.2 cSt of GC). IMHO, GC is the best mass market oil available if you can find it.

I am currently running it in my 2k Maxima with no problems. I have a stash of 24 bottles so I will be using GC for the foreseeable future. I am running a one year interval with GC since I have been driving my 94 altima beater to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back