quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
Why I will not use the Green GC:

1. Availability
2. Weak TBN retention
3. Price

1. True, getting harder to find
2. 3.0 after 7500 miles, not too bad.
3. $3.99 if you know how to shop and use price matching.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
3. $3.99 if you know how to shop and use price matching.

Unfortunately, the price-matching at AutoZone seems to be a bit hit-or-miss. The only local AutoZone in my area that had any decent supply of GC would not price match a Pep-Boys $3.99 Castrol Syntec coupon despite speaking directly with the store manager.
frown.gif

My 9k run of GC in my XJ yielded a TBN of 3.4. Not too bad considering the Amsoil 5w-40 TBN was 3.2 after 9878 miles with "easier" conditions.

posted by gudmund
quote:

M1 iron 38 & 47 which Blackstone stated "Iron typically reads higher with extended oil use."
Amsoil iron 10
GC iron 28 all 4 samples taken after 10,000miles each

posted by buster
quote:

You would need more of a trend then that though. Too up and down. Many variables could have impacted all those results.

gudmund,

I think you got a good start of a trend and from the four UOAs you have I would start drawing some conclusions from the trend you have started
grin.gif

buster,
There may always be some variables in analysis, how many UOAs do you need to start drawing some conclusions?

quote:

All 4 of these oils did well with Blackstone stating 'go 12000 next time with each of them' both M1's did show some extra iron over the other two but they both ended up thicking some and I did see some decrease in gas milage with both but not with the M1 .

The MI out of the bottle starts at a lower viscosity then the Amsoil or GC.

Bill

quote:

Why I will not use the Green GC:

Psst!! ..Err ..Michael (looking over my shoulder at the type of customer that this watering hole attracts) do you really have to share this with them?? (cue Lynrd Skynrd's "Gimme Three Steps")

grin.gif

Yes, M1 has a tendancy to show higher iron and GC/Amsoil have a tendancy to thicken up after prolonged use - guess you just have to pick which way you want to go with and mine is with M1 being I can buy it anywhere at usally a better $$ along with better gas milage. As far as the gas milage goes, being I drive a car that gets 43/45mpg, I will notice any slight decrease/gain before most people being a +/- of say just 1to2% equates to .44 to .88 mpg(almost 1 mpg). 1to2% with a vehicle that gets maybe 15mpg isn't going to show up as much of a noticable change in mpg one way or the other. You notice any change in milage with this car - change of weather/wind/cold/hot/etc is noticable, right now the last few days here have gotten hotter and my milage has kicked up to 45+.(and after each change of oil, be it Amsoil or GC, the milage increased back up at least 2to3% each time once the new fresh oil was put in with no change (+/-) after the M1 runs. We'll see how the SM-M1 does as the next few weeks go by being I'm heading past the 5000mile on my way to 10,000 again.

lol.gif
Love it...

Here is one of the Elf's getting slayed by a Mobil 1 warrior. Ok, I need help...

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back