Is it OK to use stick on wheel weights on a alloy wheel that uses the hammer on kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does my question make any sense and if so, would it cost any extra?

I'm tired of seeing scratch marks on my wheels after getting new tires or getting them rebalanced.

I like how the wheels on a BMW use stick on weights from the factory.

Are they any less accurate / will they fall off easier?

Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

I'd get them to use the stick-ons. As long as you have a clean, reasonably smooth surface inside the rim, I don't see it being a problem. It keeps your wheels looking better and slow leaks often develop at the wheel weight.
The balance should be just as good. Most high-end cars (and even my Mazda 3) use them and they work fine.
Whether it costs extra would probably depend on the shop. Some may charge an extra fee, but I would expect it to be minimal.

Stick-on weights can be very accurate since they can be applied to the rim center line. They will usually balance out a wheel with less weight used.

One thing to watch out for is the clearance between the brake caliper and the inside of the rim. Sometimes this clearance is so small, it precludes the use of stick-ons.

You can also have them put them on the inside only. Keep in mind though, this is a static balance, having weights on both sides is a dynamic balance. You might not notice the difference though.

And as theloneranger mentioned, watch for clearance issues.

-T

On my Nissan Quest, the alloys use the stick on weights. There is a groove inside the wheel just behind the spokes that is used to place the "outer" weights. According to the service manual, the tech must multiply the "needed" weight read on the balancer by 1.6 to compensate for the placement of the weight away from the outer rim edge.

Stick on weights will work just as well as the hammer on type. Depending on the type of balance machine(and skill of the 'tech') it is possible to have a dynamic balance using stick ons AND have the weights 'hidden' behind the spokes of your wheel.

for some reason i am excited about this.

i guess i'll get used to it in time.
fruit.gif

Make sure the wheel is squeaky clean on both sides. Most mechanics will just take a greasy old rag and wipe a little crud off to give the impression they are cleaning the spot in question. Tape weights tend to fall off more easily than regular weights. When washing the car with a pressure washer be careful not to aim at the tape weight.

There shouldn't be a problem at all with using the tape-a-weights on a wheel that is designed to take the regular hammer-ons. But there is a greater danger of them falling off easier. It comes down to the skill-level and care that the guy performing the task has. It is a bit more of a involved process for balancing as well and a lot of guys really hate doing it. I don't mind at all, though. I've done enough of them to get it done relatively quickly and easily while remaining effective.... and making sure the weights stay on.

Results will vary from place to place depending on equipment and the level of skill and care their employees possess. Just the unfortunate truth about the business. It is an entry-level job that doesn't pay the greatest.. and it does tend to attract some, how to put this delicately, people of less intelligence or care.. Fortunately, where I work is in a big college town. Half the employees are rather intelligent college kids who still give a **** about getting things done right. They're just working there for a few bucks. Not even necessary to them, but they want to do it. It's nice to work with competent and intelligible types in an otherwise low-brow job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back