Pep Boys prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Pep Boys this morning to get a fuel filter for my S-10 and almost fell over when I saw the price was $27.99! Left there and went to the local NAPA and got a NAPA Gold filter for $14.59. Seems like their direction is more to selling dune buggies and scooters than selling auto parts.

They indeed have the greatest selection of intake pipes and **** cannons of any major auto parts retailor
rolleyes.gif
And if your in desperate need of a a huge double decker wing for your front wheel drive car
lol.gif
, Pep Boys has got ya covered
wink.gif

I'm discusted with Pepboys and Advance Auto Parts. No bc of prices but bc they flat out suck. They don't carry any high quality products. I couldn't even get 100% USA cotton micro fiber towells.
dunno.gif
In fact Walmart carries more oil and more detailing cloths then ****boys.

After today I'm pretty much done shopping at Pep Boys, except for the occasional bottle of Redline S1 (I wish someone else carried it). I'll buy my auto supplies at Walmart, NAPA and Autozone.

I actually like Pep Boys because they usually have the best coupon prices for oil and Purolator filters. They still cater way too much towards the rice crowd, but hey, that's where the money is!

I too have quit going to pepboys in the last few months. I now strictly use napa, I hated it at first because I like purolator filters, but now Im a napa gold convert.

Pep Boys does seem to have a lot of "accessories"
rolleyes.gif
. But in all fairness I did find the proper O2 sensor removal tool there for $10 when my only other choice was Snap On Tools for $30. No other auto parts store carried the proper one. Buster, I have a new Advance Auto store near me and it's great for "off the floor" items. I haven't needed to purchase serious repair parts other than an O2 sensor for years so I can't say anything about their repair parts. Besides at Advance Auto I can speak English. At the nearest Pep Boys and Auto Zone I have to speak and read Spanish. My high school Spanish a bit rusty needless to say, by about 35 years
grin.gif

Whimsey

No store is all bad, but I too am on the threshold of giving up on PepBoys (which I personally have started calling "RiceBoys"). I had liked them for a long time for their good stock and selection, but the decline began for me when I bought a set of tires there for my Civic about a year before I traded it (around 97). In their haste to get the job done, they impact wrenched my lug nuts back on and warped the crap out of my brakes (Civic rotors aren't exactly the beefiest things you've ever seen...). Then, despite the brakes having been perfectly smooth before the tire change, they denied that they had done anything. He!!, I saw them using the air wrench and tried to stop them, but it was too late. Since this, I've pretty much gone there only for an occasional bottle of RL SI-1. Ironically, when I spotted this thread, I'd just been mapquesting a local New Orleans store to see if I can find any Purple Ice for my new G35. Of course, since all RiceBoys locations now have four aisles of ricer accessories, I'll be wearing dark glasses and a hat for both ingress and egress from the local store. . .

Of the major chains here, AutoZone, Kragen and PepBoys, PB is the only one that carries in-stock service parts that fit my BMW. Brake pads and even spark plugs are "special order" at AZ and CSK. The one local NAPA is small, arrogant and only open 9-5 M-F.

Local PepBoys stores are convenient and sometimes have good prices on consumables like oil and brake cleaner. I have all but stopped buying parts from them, however. Both because of limited selection and high prices. I prefer Advance Auto and AutoZone, primarily because I can actually see what they have online, to the point of checking if the stuff is likely to be in stock. Their prices are lower and selection is much better. They also seem to complement each other -- I get certain things at Advance Auto and others at AutoZone. AutoZone has better return policy, so that's another plus.

PepBoys is the only store that carries my favorite Castrol LMA brake fluid locally.

beware i am about to rant!!
shocked.gif

i vote with my dollars. i don't support crappy companies that have dismal service or that sell products that are engineered to be the cheapest possible but market them as priemuim.
for example;
i don't support pepboys, anything fram makes, and i am borderline on castrol also (because of the syntec/group III issue). i don't sort out "they have cheaper these or this product they make is decent". any dollar i spend with them supports their poor quality or service, weither i buy the crappy part or the decent part, it's all the same company.
every pepboys i've been into has guys that could hardly run the fryer at mcdonalds trying to tell me what parts i "need". when asked something outside of his "parts tunnel vision" (computer) the answer is "i don't know it's not in the computer" or "that's what the computer says so it's all that i know" (at least he's honest).
pat.gif

think about who you support with the money you spend.

ok i'm done ranting
banghead.gif

quote:

PepBoys is the only store that carries my favorite Castrol LMA brake fluid locally.

you should switch over to valvoline synpower dot4+ brake fluid.

it's LMA and it's widely available at either advance or autozone.

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
you should switch over to valvoline synpower dot4+ brake fluid.

it's LMA and it's widely available at either advance or autozone.

And it has better specs than Castrol LMA.

Pep Boys is OK. At least they have Purolator and AC Delco in addition to the Fram stuff. I used to get stuff for my bicycle there 50 years ago. Store's still in the same place and three times as big! I won't go to NAPA anymore; each of the three stores I've been to in (Calif and Washington)lately has had staff that either ignored me or were rude. Bad attitudes IMO. CarQuest both here in WA and in CA have been much, much better.

My $0.02

p.s. well actually since I got the bike in 1955 it was probably only 47 or 48 years ago.

[ September 14, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: HerkyJim ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back