Interesting website/ FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this while surfing. I don't know if it has ever been posted before, so please don't shoot the messenger.
smile.gif
A direct comparison of several oils with HP and torque ratings for each. Oil Comparison

Table has errors in it and the test looks biased toward Amsoil...
All it showed was the thinner oils made more power yet finial ranking looks like that was ignored

The test was not biased towards amsoil at the time that it was produced.

It was an Oz magazine called "Fast Fours and Rotaries", and thye published a reasonable and quite comprehensive test.

It (and more importantly exerpts of the test) have been used extensively in advertising since.

I find it interesting that the Castrol 10w-60 gave the second highest horsepower and at a lower temp and rpm than the Mobil 1 0w-40. So much for heavier oils using more HP for pumping.

The heavier oils showed good HP at 3000 rpms the two highest being a 5w-50 and 15w-50.

I find it interesting that the Castrol 10w-60 gave the second highest horsepower and at a lower temp and rpm than the Mobil 1 0w-40. So much for heavier oils using more HP for pumping.

The heavier oils showed good HP at 3000 rpms the two highest being a 5w-50 and 15w-50.

Doesn't there have to come a point where too thin an oil film in the bearings (depending on prevailing clearances) costs more power than high vis pumping and crank drag losses?? Engineers comments??

apart from total drag, what I was taught when it came to race oils was that film strength was very important and how this related to imoproved ring seal. (and hence torque and HP)
Neo's claim in the early nineties with their low and ultra low viscosity oils made better torque, as well as HP right through the rev range and this was supposedly attributable to better film strength/ring seal. Dyno testing I did at the time seemed to bear this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back