V8 Ranger swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just kicking this idea around for now to get some ideas and educate myself. My truck is a 98 Ranger. It's 2wd, automatic with the 2.5L 4banger. Pretty simple truck for the most part. For awhile I've kept in the back of my mind of swapping a 302 in there. Since my truck is a 98, I was thinking I could find like a 96-97 V8 Explorer and use those motors. From reading other forums, the 96-97 V8 Explorer models are a pretty straight forward swap as the Ranger and Explorer are on the same chassis design overall making the swap easier to do.

Now the details. Would it be ok to keep the stock rearend or would I have to change to a 9" say?? I have the 8.8 rearend right now running 3:08 gears I'm 80& sure there 3:08's anyway. It might be lower(numerically higher) because I have 15" tires on there and the engine does about 2450RPM @ 60mph in OD. Like I said, I'm not fully sure what's out back. I'm pretty sure I'm running the A4LE tranny. Would it be ok to keep this tranny or swap out to something like a C6? My thinking is If I were to go with the Explorer engine, I can swap the engine and tranny all together without ever having to unbolt the tranny from the Explorer engine. Am I right so far?? Back to engines, I want a good size cam in there for that famous "big cam sound" know what I mean?? that sound is just purely sweet. What size cam will I need as far as degrees in duration and lift, I don't know to be honest.

I would like to ask if you guys can start me out by giving me some websites to check out I can research this subject as far as ballpark pricing, what parts I need. I know this post is lengthy but just thought I would share what I know so far. Thanks,,,,,,AR

The only thing I know for sure is that if you have an 8.8" rear it'll be plenty strong. It's the same as used in the Mustangs and other V8 autos and they don't have problems. Your truck probably even has 28 spline axles like the cars instead of the 31 spline items used on the 4X4 trucks and Explorers but I doubt it'll matter in this application.

If I were you I'd look for a wrecked 2WD Explorer to use as a donor and just get everything you can...

The 8.8 rear was used in 5.0 mustangs, its good enough for your application. I dont think a open diff would be much fun, you really need a locking rear. Swaps like this, get to a point for most people, that you have too much money involved and wasted. You might be surprised after you complete the swap, just how much money you put in it. I have built up V8's in the past and I would guess you could have an easy $5 grand in this project, and thats if you do all your own work. For a cam recommendation, I would contact the comp cams help line for advice. If you live in a e-check ohio county, you might not be able to run a big cam and pass e-check.

I'm glad I am not the only person who ever considered this. The only problems I can think about would be front springs an shocks dealing wiht the extra weight of the V8. You'd also probably want to swap the radiator from the V8.

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
The 8.8 rear was used in 5.0 mustangs, its good enough for your application. I dont think a open diff would be much fun, you really need a locking rear. Swaps like this, get to a point for most people, that you have too much money involved and wasted. You might be surprised after you complete the swap, just how much money you put in it. I have built up V8's in the past and I would guess you could have an easy $5 grand in this project, and thats if you do all your own work. For a cam recommendation, I would contact the comp cams help line for advice. If you live in a e-check ohio county, you might not be able to run a big cam and pass e-check.

That's a big turn off for me. But if it's the truth then so be it. Like I said, I was just kicking this idea around, nothing serious as of yet and I don't think there will ever be a plan for this idea. Thanks for the help all,,,,,,AR

The big cam sound and the 308's are not a good match. The in a 302 the Iski mega cam that is 221 @ .050 on a 108 is a nice choice for a rompy idle. 355 - 373 gears would make it go. With the 308's something in the 205 to 210 @ .050 on a 114 or so is more in the ball park. This is all assuming 9 to 10:1 compression

These days, you'll need to consider the computer in an engine swap. There may be a way to have your Ranger's computer reprogrammed, or you'll also have to swap in the Explorer computer with the V-8 and matching trans.

My only swap was a '70 Pontiac 400 into a '72 Nova. No PCM to worry about there.

Check out a company called Advanced Adaptors. They make/sell most everything you need to do a V8 Ranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back