OBD-I scanner for '94 GM?

My FIL has an '87 Jeep J10 that him & some buddies turned into an off-road vehicle years ago. It's been sitting a long time and I'm helping him get everything running right. It has a GM LT-1 350 V8 supposedly from a '96 Caprice swapped in, along with a TH-400 transmission and dual transfer cases.

After draining & refilling fuel, he's got it running reasonably well. Only thing I noticed was it's running pig rich and has a loud backfire when decelerating off full throttle. Also has a bit of a miss. Pulled plugs, old ones were black / sooty, but nothing terrible except one looked a bit wet. Swapped plugs and ran it for a half hour or so. All seem to be firing just fine, the wetness of the suspect plug was gone.

What I really need to do is hook a scanner up to this thing, but it has a 12 pin connector despite FIL saying the engine came from a '96. I Googled the number off the ECU and it points to a '92-94 Caprice (and other GM models). My Launch X431 bi-directional scanner has a 12-16 pin adapter, but I still can't get it to connect.

Rather than swap parts blindly, I'd really like to see some live data. Is there some software I can put on a laptop that will let me connect to the ALDL 12-pin connector? Surely there's something inexpensive out there that will allow me to scan codes/read data that doesn't cost much money. There's no CEL on this old rig, so it's not like I can jumper the pins with a paperclip and watch for codes like we did in the old days.

A vetronix mastertech runs the tech 1 software. There is a 12 pin adapter that allows a tech 2 to communicate with 92-95 vehicles though there is no tech2win support for them. A snapon scan tool would also be fine.

Connect the alligator clip of a test light to B+ and probe pin 9 connector D of the engine control module with the test light while jumping pins A&B of the DLC and count flashes of the test light. Connector D is the 32 pin connector with a blue TPA

Thought you had a Tech 2? Snap-on MT2500's can be found cheap in pawn shops, Solus Pro's are getting up there in age.

Rochester Multec Injectors are known to be problematic in their old age, I don't like cleaning them & Usually just replace them with Bosch Injectors.

Back