6 speed shifts better with TWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have personally done this (today) & it's a big improvement (on my car) so I'd like to pass it along.

When I got my LT4 almost 2 years ago I started with preventative maint. to make it perform as close to 100% new as I could. The 6 speed was a bit notchy/balky. I replaced the clutch slave & that helped some.

Then I replaced the gear oil with GM spec 5w-50 (dino) and that helped a little more but after a few thousand miles it was back to where it was with just the slave replaced.

Today I put Castrol TWS in and wow, it's very smooth. zfdoc turned me onto this and it now drops into gear very easy. I would not have thought a different blend (plus it's synthetic) would make so much difference.

If your 6 speed is like mine was, first verify the clutch slave/master. If it's got 50k plus miles and you believe in PM like I do then replace them.

Then treat your Vette to the Castrol TWS tranny fluid (it's the engine oil for BMW M5). You'll like it.

"Vascular flow of oil through the porous phosphorus-bronze material of each synchronizer is essential for effective BTU heat exchange occurrence. Frequent transmission oil changes (15K-30K miles) will ensure lower Pb particle levels suspended in the oil. The ZF S6-40 6-speed transmission is lubricated by engine type oil. Manufacturer recommendations specify the use of GM P/N 1052931 (5w-30) or BMW P/N 07510009420 (10w-60) oil. The BMW 10w-60 oil is fully-synthetic and is used in the BMW M5 engine."

Froggy,

Did you ever try Redline MTL?

'96 LT4 Vette 6 speed? GM calls for Dextron III don't they?
confused.gif

I don't know what kind of power you're running thru the LT4 the T-56 but, I'm push 500 h.p. and 500 lb/ft of torque. I can back up Molakule and his MTLglide.. I'm very pleased w/ it.
cheers.gif

Our MTL-P is an equivalent 5W30 or 75W85 and has a GL4/5 protection rating.

Out MTFGlide is used where ATF is specified, and our SynchroGlide is used where synchromesh-type viscosity fluids are specified.

[ June 01, 2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back