How do I flush the Dex mud

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 99 S-10 is a victim of the Dex mud. What should I use to flush it clean? I have used three treatments of Prestone radiator cleaner over the coarse of four weeks. For four weeks have ran nothing but radiator cleaner and water, I still can't get it clean. There is a oily waxy film on the inside of the radiator.

quote:

Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000597

It's doubtful that the Dex-Cool caused the mud. It was more than likely your radiator cap. Replace it with a Stant 10230 and you will be fine.

I'm not saying the Dex cool caused the problem. What ever the cause is, I still need to clean the cooling system. I don't think changing the radiator cap is going to clean the radiator. The instructions on the link you posted is what I did, four times.

The radiator is so plugged up and dirty the transmission cooler in the radiator can't work effectively. After driving the S-10 for half hour on a hot day the transmission over heats and causes it to shift violently hard. So hard it chirps the tires when it shifts. So you can see why I wan't to get this cleaned out.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Running "nothing but radiator cleaner and water" (especially tap water) for four weeks may be counter-productive, too.

Maybe, but I'm just following the instructions on the bottle.

I installed the "T" in the heater hose and flushed it with lots of water between every chemical flush.

I'm 166,000 miles too late in finding out that the stock radiator caps are junk.

If I so chose, can I rinse the system clean and switch to the green stuff without changing anything else?

Either way, I'm changing the cap. So, you think I should stay with the Dex-cool? Is there any brand of Dex-cool to avoid more then others?

In the GM service bulletin, it said the prestone cleaner was in powder form. The prestone cleaner I was using was liquid. Where do I get the power stuff and will it work better then the liquid?

I don't know, after going throw this, I'm very hesitant to put the Dex-cool back in.

I use the Prestone brand of Dex-Cool and have never had any problems with it. I have used it now in 5 different GM vehicles over the last few years. None of them had the mud. I think that mud may be actually caused by too many GM sealer tablets.

I haven't seen the Prestone cleaner in a powder form in any of the parts stores I frequent. I would just use the heavy duty cleaner you run for 4-6 hours. In fact, you may want to use 2 bottles and distilled water. You may want to keep repeating that when you hit the time limit with 2 bottles and distilled water and see if the system gets a little more clean.

Personally, I just don't believe Dex-Cool is the culprit here per say. There are millions of vehicles on the road that use it that never have problems. It may be a combination of things such as the sealer tablets, bad radiator caps on the 4.3L S-10s, and bad head gaskets on the 3.1L and 3.4L GM engines that cause these problems. If the coolant gets low and air gets into the mix, you will have problems with any coolant you use.

I own a Ford that came with the old green stuff so I used G-05 as it is the direct replacement for the old green stuff. No problems at all.

Sometimes the $150 for new radiator is worth the money. If you damage the water pump, overheat a head and blow the gasket with an air pocket during a month more of this - you'll spend more than that.

quote:

Originally posted by m2200b:
Sometimes the $150 for new radiator is worth the money. If you damage the water pump, overheat a head and blow the gasket with an air pocket during a month more of this - you'll spend more than that.

I have a Federal issued mechanics license, I know what I'm doing.
bowdown.gif

Pull the radiator and get it tanked, or replace it. I've yet to see any of these over the counter flushes do much at all to a radiator with severe problems.

I'm switching over to coolant this weekend. The radiator is not as clean as a new one, but it's looking pretty good and the water is coming out cleaner looking now. I already put on an external transmission cooler to take care of my tranny from over heating. I didn't want to cover up the problem like that but I figured every truck can benefit from one anyway. N22OOB is right, it's time to end this job before something else happens.

BTJ, you talked me into trying Dex-cool one more time. Also when you were talking 3.1L you mentioned head gaskets. I heard about the intake gaskets going bad on these engines, is that what you meant to say? The reason I care is because my wife has a 98 Lumina with a 3.1L with 123,000 miles. I can handle intake gaskets, not sure I want to do head gaskets.

It's the intake gasket. Make sure you purchase the updated intake gasket kit from either GM or Feltpro.

Yes, you can purchase the Prestone cleaner in powdered form. However, I think you can only purchase it from a GM parts counter.

Cylinder head gaskets have gone south on these engines, too. Some lucky owners have had cylinder head and intake manifold gaskets both fail - predictably post-warranty.

When the intake gaskets went in my 99 S-10 at 33,000 miles the mechanic (a good friend of mine) converted it over to green. The dealership where he works does a couple of these a week. I drove it 4 more years with no issues. I know he flushed it with water several times. I also replaced the stock cap with a Stant.

Also, if the transmission is getting that hot I would definately change the fluid and filter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back