Low silicate antifreeze....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be flushing out my coolant system this summer. Can someone recommend a good system flush kit and a low silicate green antifreeze? This is for a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Thanks.

Not to Hijack your thread.

Chrysler-Mercedes G-05 is downwardly spec'd adn will be a great coolant for you application.

No gasket, water pump, or warranty issues either as it is fully compatible.

Please give it a fair shake before you make the "final" decision.

At least from valvoline web page G-05 has lower corrosion rates in terms of SAE metal analysis.

I'll post the pdf as soon as i find it.

I put G-05 in my Grand Cherokee, seems too work fine.
Zerex 5/10000 conventional anti-freeze is a low silicate green antifreeze and is the same as the original factory fill. If your gun_shy about g-05(and there is no reason to be} then that's the product to use.

If your criteria is for a green 'low silicate' coolant then try Valvoline Max-Life. It is low silicate (100 is also a good choice but not as available in my area.

[ April 11, 2004, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

ASTM-4985 is low silicate antifreeze. From what I've learned in the diesel world, if it doesn't have ASTM-4985 on the bottle, you take your chances.
The best place to find it is at diesel dealers, like International or CAT, and sometimes you can get lucky at a NAPA if their products lean towards the truck/diesel guys.

I use "Fleetrite" antifreeze for my F250 7.3L.
You can find International dealer locations from their website.

My recopmmendation in a Green is Honda Type 2 antifreeze. It is a non-silicate formula, and is pre-mixed with 50% distilled water - you just pour it in, and do not have to worry about titration.

I have seen some Honda engineering studies of what silicates did to heads, water pump impellers, etc in their cars, and why they make a big deal out of specifying their coolant.

G-5's are excellent too (glysantins). My SVT Cobra* came with it, and they are long-life and very low abrasion.

The hassle can be that some combos of fluids will cause gelling, and even if you flush til the cows come home, the tuniest nooks and crannies of the radiator will retain some old fluid, and it is precisely in those spots where either corrosion or an accumulation of "glommed" varying coolants can occur, which at weorst can lead to diminished flow.

It is a good rule of thumb that sticking with what the mfr recommends is a safe bet.

*Ford used two coolants in production of the 2003 Cobra - a green, low silicate, and a yellow G05 glysantin. Ford spec'd the yellow (Gold) for 20K more service life. But they also stressed not switching from green to yellow, yellow to green, or mixing them, for the reasons I stated above.

Ford's G-5 is called Premium Gold and is fairly priced and excellent.

Hondas mighnt not like silicates but older American cars do. Make sure that your jeep ask for low silicate anti-freeze and not silicate free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back