Redline water wetter in Dexcool

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience is as RL claims. I.e. 50/50 mix it will reduce temps 8-10F (if over stat temp). It did just that in the factory fill of '01 GTP for the past 20k miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
My experience is as RL claims. I.e. 50/50 mix it will reduce temps 8-10F (if over stat temp). It did just that in the factory fill of '01 GTP for the past 20k miles.

that's incredible! I'm glad you have had a good experience with it. I'm paranoid about dexcool because of all the horror stories about the sludge and how would water wetter interact with dexcool. are you going to pour in another bottle? I read on redline website that water wetter is good for 15k miles
cheers.gif

No experience with the water wetter, but the temperature increase you are getting at idle is probably perfectly normal. When you are sitting still and until the engine reaches a temperature high enough to kick your cooling fan in you have very little cooling ability. When you are driving (moving) the normal airflow (wind) through the radiator will keep your engine at a cooler temperature. I am not that familiar with the Dexcool, but I think they probably recommend at least a 50% Dexcool mixture. I know in tennesee you probably don't need the freeze protection, but it is for the corrosion protection.

I'm using the Water Wetter in my classic 70 Mustang V8 in a 50/50 Dexcool mixture. I haven't had any sludging problems yet and can't comment on a reduction in temps as I'm running the stock gauge. Where did you read of the sludging issue?

I tried water wetter in my truck, and I couldn't tell a difference. When I last changed my coolant, I put in Schaeffer's clean and cool, and my temps are a hair lower, and it seems to come up to operating temp a hair quicker, although I don't know why.
dunno.gif

Water Wetter is primarily intended for those that race as the largest benefit is when it is run with 100% water. They even state on the bottle that mixing with coolant will reduce the effectiveness tremendously. I tried it for exactly the same reasons that you appear to want to try it, Trust Me, you are wasting your money. It has no discernable effect mixed with coolant in bringing down the temp.
Mine was with the ethylene glycol but I doubt dexcool is any different.

Save your money and if it gets worse look at the thermostat, radiator, pump etc.

I'll have to agree with "Spector". My most noticeable reduction in operating temps were realized with the installation of a "Robert Shaw" high flow thermostat. They are available here http://www.flowkooler.com/ but as stated earlier maybe your situation is normal.

what does everyone think about water wetter? especially in dexcool. my g/f has a 96 pontiac sunfire with 102k miles, but coolant temp gauge creeps up at long idles. (antifreeze was changed four months ago) doesn't get to red, but temp increases 15+ degrees. anyone tried this combination before? any success with water wetter? I would go with 60 h2o /40 antifreeze

I've been using the W/W now for about 12k miles on the wife's '03 Grand am and no problems. I look at it as a beefier additive package for the coolant to help keep water pump seals etc. in good condition.

BTW, the sunfire we had always seemed to creep up to right at the hot mark alot. We told the service dept. about it on two occasions then one day the water pump broke nearly in half at 35k miles. That along with the cluster fogging up when you turn the air on made us decide to trade that POS in soon after that.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
what does everyone think about water wetter? especially in dexcool.

I just checked with Redline. Dave at Redline HQ said Waterwetter is compatible with Dexcool and would make about the same improvement as it does with conventional EG coolant mixes.

A fresh change of Dexcool and Waterwetter are going in my Corvette next week.

As stated above the WW will work best in reducing temps when used alone with water (not tap water). When added to normal concentrations of antifreeze little or no inprovement. I use it straight with water. No glycol. Not needed except if temps get very low. Not a problem here though.

If overheating is a problem then you need to flush or upgrade your coolant system. Can add extra fans or increase the size of the radiator (more cores). Most radiator places can advise.

BTW: Turning the A/c on when idling can help bring temps down as it turns on the radiator a/c fan.

quote:

Originally posted by JWRENCH:
I've been using the W/W now for about 12k miles on the wife's '03 Grand am and no problems. I look at it as a beefier additive package for the coolant to help keep water pump seals etc. in good condition.

BTW, the sunfire we had always seemed to creep up to right at the hot mark alot. We told the service dept. about it on two occasions then one day the water pump broke nearly in half at 35k miles. That along with the cluster fogging up when you turn the air on made us decide to trade that POS in soon after that.

What did you trade it for?

I remember reading something about the "water wetter" technology and that it only works when sitting on a hot surface? absolutely no benefit in a moving solution? Perhaps someone in the know can comment? I have tried Readline and could tell no difference in coolant temp at idle or driving around using Auto Tap software on my laptop. My PCM takes the temp from the water pump.
dunno.gif

Water Wetter with water alone will severely corrode an aluminum engine.

I know one Viper owner who found out the hard way via 2 bottles of Water Wetter with distilled water. Engine was unsalvagable due to internal corrosion.

quote:

Originally posted by Ron-Indy:
I know one Viper owner who found out the hard way via 2 bottles of Water Wetter with distilled water. Engine was unsalvagable due to internal corrosion.

that's odd. i know motorcycle racers who have used it for years without problems. i wonder if the type of Al or casting density is different.

-michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael SR:
that's odd. i know motorcycle racers who have used it for years without problems. i wonder if the type of Al or casting density is different.[/QB]

Or electro-chemical reactions. If the block is grounded and at a different potential across the coolant, this could happen.

Who knows. But it doesn't sound like a 'normal' event.

ferb!

quote:

Originally posted by Ron-Indy:
Water Wetter with water alone will severely corrode an aluminum engine.

I heard when you run just water(no coolant) with water wetter that you should change every 3mos.Maybe dude waited 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back