Bypass spin on filters (AMsoil?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If for nothing else then watching miscommunication between different members seeing different things in posts.
grin.gif

I tried every way imaginable to get around that 1-16 thread of the Amsoil bypass. Big learning curve since then
dunno.gif

It did very well at keeping oil very clean, Schultz. I took it off to do my bypass valve testing on oil filters. I will install it as soon as my reman engine gets installed (longer story). It increased the sump about a gallon.

I never got to do a UOA on it ..being a third vehicle with 170k+ on it ..I didn't see the point. But I will be doing a PC on it when it's up and running with the new engine.

That was one fine treasure that I saved from the scrap man
grin.gif
I must thank you again for getting through another mystery of "not knowing" where the heck I was at with it. That thing would have collected dust if I hadn't bumped into you here.
smile.gif

Didn't you have your Pall filter canister set exceeding 10k miles for OCI? If so why not go back to that?

quote:

Originally posted by Schultz:
Didn't you have your Pall filter canister set exceeding 10k miles for OCI? If so why not go back to that?

Interesting thread!!
grin.gif
At the winery we use a Pall filter housing for our membrane filters for the final bottling run. Now that would be a kicker, huh? Using one of our pall membrane housing, adapted to use with the automotive field.

Kind of a superfluous question,but if Gary had a setup where the oil was coming off bypassed to his bypass filter system, couldn't he just do away with the main full flow filter and in it's place put in a sort of "dummy" filter that was mostly comprised of SS wire mesh for large nasty particles and let the by pass filter just run with the cleaning of the oil? Seems like the oil is cleaned completely in no time at all though the by pass and the full flow is there for good looks.
grin.gif

Vern

-

Dug around in the shed after reading some of this post today. I had bought this back in 1992 I believe. It was packed away in some boxes at the bottom of some other stuff and in our shed the air is not so good.. like majorly humid a lot of the time. Never realized that humidity was so detrimental to aluminum. The little piece that fits onto the oil filter plate was ...well...soft of coated in a kind of jelly. Don't think I want to taste the jelly on my bread. Other than that I think the unit is still operable. If I could find a new oil filter plate, put in the hoses, I think it would still work.

quote:

Originally posted by Nebraskan:

quote:

Originally posted by Schultz:

Interesting thread!!
grin.gif
At the winery we use a Pall filter housing for our membrane filters for the final bottling run. Now that would be a kicker, huh? Using one of our pall membrane housing, adapted to use with the automotive field.

Kind of a superfluous question,but if Gary had a setup where the oil was coming off bypassed to his bypass filter system, couldn't he just do away with the main full flow filter and in it's place put in a sort of "dummy" filter that was mostly comprised of SS wire mesh for large nasty particles and let the by pass filter just run with the cleaning of the oil? Seems like the oil is cleaned completely in no time at all though the by pass and the full flow is there for good looks.
grin.gif

Vern

Yes, I could surely have done that. The problem is costs. Most of your permanent ss mesh type filters are expensive. Equal to about 60 ST's from WM. What would work is the new Fleetguard canister adapter that allows you to put a cartridge filter in place of a spin on (the reusable canister spins on) ..and just leave it empty ...but a 10k element change for the sake of catching anything REALLY big would have its sensible merits
dunno.gif

quote:

Dug around in the shed after reading some of this post today. I had bought this back in 1992 I believe. It was packed away in some boxes at the bottom of some other stuff and in our shed the air is not so good.. like majorly humid a lot of the time. Never realized that humidity was so detrimental to aluminum. The little piece that fits onto the oil filter plate was ...well...soft of coated in a kind of jelly. Don't think I want to taste the jelly on my bread. Other than that I think the unit is still operable. If I could find a new oil filter plate, put in the hoses, I think it would still work.

Take this down to your local machine shop/foundary and ask if they'll clean it up in a blasting booth w/AlOx (aluminum oxide). Good as new when done. I believe that a new O ring can be had from a Mopar dealer if you get one for a 00 Cherokee right angle adapter. Ford has them too, but they cost 4X as much from them. You can test fittment before you buy it ($3/each).

Otherwise, Jeg's or Summit has this available ..but have minimum handling charges that make one item rather expensive. They manipulate it to come within a $ of each other due to advertising marketing agreements with producers.

Here's the universal. It's basically the same thing with an additional piece for Chevy and other large filter mating surfaces.

-

Looking at the picture of the dual remote, I am wondering if the ends of both the adapter and the dual-remote are too small? Will this small inlet/outle hamper the flow of oil to the engine?

Not typically. Remember what that little poppet relief valve does in the sandwich setup. Remember that it doesn't typically impact flow. If you've got some extreme flow potential ..and/or some excessive length AND those result in enough pressure elevation back at the pump THEN you can have flow reductions. Otherwise 0-5gpm is still 0-5gpm. It all depends on your pump volume, viscosity, and the pressure limits of your pump.

That is, sure, you could have issues ..but it's been proven to occur only in rare circumstances.

So one installs the sandwhich adaptor to the block, mounts the spin on oil filter to the adaptor and runs a feed to the bypass filter(from the sandwhich adaptor) and a return from the bypass filter to the sandwhich adaptor. If so sounds like a much better method to run a bypass filter in parallel with the oil system. I'll have to look into one of these if so.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:
If it were me and I had one of the dual filter setups, I would use the single by-pass filter with the sandwich adapter hooked up to one of the FF filters.

-

Perma-Cool® sandwich adapters are installed between the oil filter landing on the engine block and the oil filter to route the oil to a remote oil cooler. They are die cast from aerospace quality aluminum. O-rings and illustrated multilingual instructions included. Brass fittings and AN fittings sold separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back