First UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

35w

I have 06 PSD F250 CC FX4 and just performed my first oil analysis. Truck has 14400 and 4400 on last oil change with Rotella T 15W40. How does this look?
Alum 7
Chrom 3
Copper 28
Iron 45
Lead 5
Tin 7
Silicon 29
Potas >100
Sodium 23
Moly 8
Water .1
Oxidation 4.6
Visc@100 13.6
Glycol ND (not detected)
Fuel TBN 10.2
Nitration Soot .4

"The report says engine wear rates normal for break-in/overhaul period. Silicon is from engine sealant,gasket material. Coolant additive present. High silicon,coolant additive, or dirt present possible gaining with the coolant. Check for source of coolant leak. Drain oil and change filter if not already done. Resample at next service interval to monitor."

This is what the report says. As for as coolant leak, I check the fluid levels fairly regular, once every couple weeks, and have not notice the coolant level changing. As far as dirt I do not drive in dusty conditions mostly city and highway.

From what I have heard Ford and Cat use sometype of gasket material on their engines and this will give a high silicon reading.

The report also said the Silicon 29 was abnormal and that Potassium >100 was severe. Do not know what or where Potassium comes into play here.

Thanks

35w

Potassium is typically from coolant. 6.0 PowerStrokes are quite notorious for head gasket failures, so that is something to keep an eye on. Silicon can be dirt ingestion from a poor air filter seal or loose clamps on the turbo to air filter piping. Silicon is also used as an anti-foam additive, although not in that high of concentration usually. Also, since this engine is still new, the silicon may just be leaching from gasket sealers (such as used on the front cover).

The fuel dilution is high, but typical for a 6.0. Soot is fine and the TBN is ok. This is a good report for an engine that is still breaking in. I would keep an eye on that potassium, I would run the oil another 4500 miles and do another UOA and see if it gets any better, if not I'd get it back to Ford and have them fix it.

Bearing wear metals don't look bad for having a significant amount of potassium, I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Check out some of the other UOA's for 6.0 PSD that are on the site, it will help give you something to compare your UOA to.
cheers.gif

Wear rates are high due to new engine break in, however the trace of K and Na indicates very low coolant seepage into the engine. This can be from one of the cylinder head gaskets, or from an intake gasket that's allowing coolant to burn in the combustion chamber.

It's normal for the oil to test negative for coolant with a very slow leak. What happens is that the EG combines chemically with the oil to form an acidic sludge, and no longer registers as EG.

I'd follow Wreckermans advice and continue to monitor with a couple of short OCI's. This condition will get progressively worse if the coolant wasn't introduced from some external source, like a funnel used for both coolant and oil additions.

TS

TooSlick, I don’t believe the 6.0 PowerStrokes have coolant running in the intake manifolds, they are just air ducts from the intercooler. If there really is coolant in the basement it'll be from the head gaskets or a front cover leak most likely. Like you said, if there is an internal leak it will get worse with time, a couple of short OCI’s will tell the story.

I figured you'd be more familar with this engine design than I am. No abnormal bearing wear in this case, due to the newness of the problem and the short OCI (ie, plenty of TBN reserve to neutralize any acids formed). Given the compression ratio of a diesel however, this type of situation can be expected to get worse.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back