1996 ford taurus power steering problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having a problem with the power steering in my 1996 ford taurus. The steering effort is normal until you get into a turn then it gets harder to turn and it is starting to get worse. This problem is very much like the gm power steering syndrome that effected the mid 1980s gm cars. I was was thinking that the power steering pump could be going bad but i have been told by a couple of people that the rack and pinion is going bad. I have never heard of this problem with ford cars is there anyone out there that has had this problem with a ford and how did you fix it. Thanks!

Check your tire pressure, tire size, and wheel alignment.
Flush the PSF with a quality synthetic ATF.
And, replace the PS belt(probably 1 big serpentine for all components) if you haven't already. Make sure that the belt tensioner has tension.

As above, verify your belt and tensioner are OK. I don't know if I would throw a new belt on it right away but at least inspect it to be sure it isn't glazed/oily, and make sure it isn't loose. You might get lucky with a flush and dislodge some grit, you never know till you try.

Does your car have VAPS (Variable assist Power Steering)? Trace your pressure line to the rack, if it goes into a solenoid assm with an electrical connector on it, it's VAPS equipped. Unplugging this solenoid will give you full boost at all times and will eliminate one possible cause of increased steering effort. VAC valves can stick, body control modules can inadvertently give the solenoid voltage.

A sticky spool valve in the rack will also cause your symptoms, most often it will happen more so in one direction than another.

Jack the front wheels off the ground and turn the steering wheel lock to lock, any tight places in the rotation?

As far as your original diag, I tend to agree with you. A PS pump is a likely cause. There are pressure gauges that can be hooked up to the pump output to sheck pressure specs, not all shops have them. Diagnosing your problem without knowing you actual pump pressure is a guessing game.

Unfortunately, when a pump goes, particulate matter causes the rack to wear, and can have problems also.
Try a flush with new fluid, and then follow punisher's good advice.

I agree with the above posters. Try exercising the belt tensioner. They can sometimes tend to sit in one spot and corrode in place, while the belt stretches a bit over time. (Do you experience any squeal during startup?)

Don't just use the turkey baster method to change the fluid. You'll have to use the flush method for this project.

1. Lift front tires off the ground.
2. Disconnect the ps return line, drain ps reservoir.
3. Plug open connection at the reservoir.
4. Secure the return line to a generously-sized container (at least one gallon). If needed, add a length of hose.
5. Fill reservoir.
6. Line up your bottles of new fluid for quick pouring.
Here comes the fun part...
7. Have helper turn car on, and immediately have him go through full range of steering motion (left and right) and shut off car, all the while you are trying to keep the reservoir filled.
8. Button everything back up.
9. Clean up mess.
10. Top off fluid.

The belt and tentioner are new so it's not a belt problem. I think punisher hit on something as i think this car is equipped with variable power steering i will have to check on that. I definitely want to flush out the system and this car has a filter on the return line so i will need to replace that when i flush it out. Thanks for the tips.

I would do the flush then install a new filter. Good luck finding one. The dealer wanted $70 for a filter/hose kit when I tried to buy one 3+ yrs ago. It is possible your filter is getting clogged, don't know how many miles you have?

But I don't know if it would cause your problem.

Go to bulkparts.com and get a magnifine 3/8 size filter about $18 at the time I bought it. It fits in place almost as well as the stock one.

I was dutifully checking and topping off the power steering fluid one day, and when I opened the fluid the foil liner in the cap managed to flutter it's way down into the pump. Mother Nature reinforcing 'no good deed goes unpunished' :^)

I fished for the liner for anout an hour and then just left it. On the way to town, with the family in the car while crossing a bridge the steering became very hard and the car started making a loud whining noise. I managed to steer, but I doubt if my wife could have. I pulled the housing without having to pull the pump, removed the offending liner, but not too long after I had to replace the pump as the whining started back up.

Anyway, don't ignore power steering problems, and try to keep a sense of humor :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back