Light valve ticking in 2001 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone, this is #1 post for me.
I've owned the above listed Honda since new. The wife drove it all highway for its first 50k miles. I am a freak on maintenance, and changed the oil exactly at the factory-recommended 5k "Severe" interval, using Honda filters and Valvoline 5w20 for the first 30k. I then began using Amsoil 0w30 and their SDF/EA filters after that. (Plus Amsoil ATF at 31k, shifts smooth, no leaks) It uses about 1 quart every 8-10k, which in my opinion is nothing.
Anyways, for the last 5k and on days where the morning temp is lower than 40 degrees, there is a very light valve ticking sound until it completely warms up, and then it goes away. I'm still driving it probably 60/40 highway/street, and still change my oil and filter exactly how Amsoil says to based on mileage or year's end (Always on Jan. 1, told you I'm a freak.) I called the Honda dealer today, and they said not to worry about it because the first scheduled valve adjustments should be made at 105k. I then called a very respected indy shop here in Cincinnati, talking with the shop owner himself, and he said with my 0w30 I most likely don't have anything to worry about. However, he did say it can't hurt to open it up and adjust if necessary before 105k.
I have the shop manual from Honda and could do this myself, I'm just trying to figure out if I actually need to before 105k.
Your thoughts, fellow oil freaks....
bowdown.gif

Hi Chris - Welcome to BITOG! I read your post with interest. I have an '03 Civic, I share some of your "freak" traits, and I'm originally from Ohio, so I know exactly what you should do! For the great care that you have given this engine, it does seem odd that you have valve ticking, and I bet that you will not rest easy until you have resolved it! I suggest that you go ahead and investigate - check the valve clearances and also the oil pressure. If you do it yourself, that's great, just make sure you know what you are doing or this "minor" issue can turn bad. Don't let any dirt get into the engine when you open the valve cover.

Another idea before you get the wrenches. Put some premium gas in it - 4-5 gallons). I recommend Shell V-Power. Run it hard at speed for a few days and see if this effects the tick.

Do you have the VTEC engine? If so, then perhaps you can run it above ~4500RPM on the highway, which is where VTEC kicks in on this engine, and get some time on the high-RPM cam. This may help - but is just a guess.

Don't forget that the fuel injectors make a ticking noise also, so try to distinguish exactly where the tick is coming from - perhaps one of the injectors is a little noisy when cold now - another guess!

Let us know what you find.

Best Wishes as you motor along!

Tosh, that's hilarious about an Italian tune-up. Perhaps that's what that guy in California was doing when he split his supercar in half last week.
SWS, it's an '01 LX so no VTEC. Only the SOHC.
I'll have to take your advice and start/listed under the hood when it's cold, and see if I can distinguish between the injectors or the valves. I run only Shell or BP/Amoco 87-octane gas and I'm on the highway at 77-80 mph for long periods of time every week. Not sure if premium would change anything, but with gas costing $2.45 here right now, what's another 20 cents for the hi-test?
I'll continue to monitor and think every knock or squeak needs to be fixed ASAP!

As a follow-up question, does anyone think switching to Amsoil's 5w-30 may alleviate the minor ticking, provided it's the valves?

Check your valve lash(adjustments) and also listen to see if the ticking is coming from the fuel injectors also.

Honda engines, unlike many others, require manual valve adjustments on a regular intervals. Every 2 years is just about right.

If your car hasn't have one yet, get one. Otherwise, drive and be happy.

I would suggest checking the valve adjustment to see if that is the problem. 105K is just a way to sell more cars, so Honda can say that it doesnt require major maintenance until that time. I think that checking the valve adjustment every 30K would be a good interval. That is how often it used to be recommended before the "No major maintenance until..." came into vogue.

My wife has a 2000 Civic LX, with about 78,000 miles. It has a ticking sound similar to what you describe. I've been trying to decide what to do about it.

The Owner's Manual calls for a valve adjustment at 30,000 miles only (not every 30k, but once at 30k and then never again) - it's quite specific about this, and it stuck in my mind because it's somewhat odd.

We had it done at 30,000 miles, but I am thinking about either trying it myself or having it done - even though the manual does not call for it.

Doesn't sound like you've ever adjusted valve lash. A regular thing on my old MGB. Sort of a pain having to pull on the fan belt to get the engine to turn and having to replace that cork gasket everytime.

But my '89 Accord is easy. Valve cover rubber gasket is reuseable and Honda, bless their hearts, has a small round opening in the driver side wheel well to allow you to get a 1/2" ratchet drive socket with extension on the crank bolt to turn the engine.

Take your time, maybe even draw a diagram and measure each gap before adjusting any, this being your first time. Help you get the hang of it. Then adjust away.

Too tight a gap, you burn the valve, too loose and it taps loud.

Don't be surprised if after you're done it sounds the same, but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing this is just your typical Honda and its something you'll have to live with for 300,000 miles or however long you keep rebuilding the suspension/tranny.

PS a neat trick is to pull the valve cover, start up (listen to see if you can hear which is tapping the lodest) and run your feeler guage in and out of the tappet/valve stem gap, if it won't go in, too tight, you can feel a loose one by how much easier it slides in and out, that should also be the noisey one. That's the one you adjust.

Same here on my Integra, you have to adjust the valve on a regular basis (30k or so) but after the adjustment it sounds the same very soon.

I think you just have to live with it, it is the design.

You would think that if it was ticking 100% of the time, it would be in trouble, correct? It only does it at startup for about 4 minutes, and goes away when warm. I assume no damage is happening, because it doesn't currently seem to be getting worse/longer in duration.

I forgot to mention that my girlfriends Integra does that all the time, especially when warm. I have adusted the valves twice and it is the same. Seems especially noticable when running M1 5W-30, but that topic has been discussed before. I just live with it and dont worry about it too much. But I would definetely recommend checking it, especially if it hasnt been done before.

It will always tap some. No tapping is just as bad, gap too tight, valve stays open part of combustion process and eventually burns.

Pull valve cover when cold, start up, listen, then run guage in and out as a rough check. Done in 10 minutes.

the first thing to do is figure out which one of them is ticking. use one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/gvflt
and be very careful not to blow your eardrums out with it.
once you know who the culprit is, it will save you alot of time and effort when it comes time to shut it up again. i own an integra and i have to shut them up every 15k miles. its always the same 2 on mine. i have it down to about 20 minutes to get in an out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back