Fluid change intervals for transfer case and differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Highlander V6 AWD and I'm curious as to what the consensus is (if any) on when the differential and transfer case fluid should be changed out. And to what? I do not have any reason to believe the Toyota folks are using a full synthetic fluid in these units.

Forget the owner's manual. They're recommending 10 years or 120K on the coolant before changing. Right! Let me schedule that on my calendar for 10 years from now.

It has the towing package (ATF cooler, bigger radiator, heavy-duty alternator, all of which have nothing to do with the diff or transfer case fluids, but I thought that package was worth $160), but I won't be doing in towing.

dkryan,
FWIW I have a 04 4 Runner, At 20K I changed the transfer case,front and rear diffs to Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear Syn gear lube. Now I know whats in there and I wont have to worry about it for awhile.
At 20k the fluid was black and the magnetic drain plug had some fine metal bits on it. I would drain your fluid at 15-20k and refill with some good quality gear oil and go from there. Amsoil claims 100k intervals on this fluid, I will check it at probably 30-40k and see what a UOA says then go from there.

Hope this helps..
Jake

I use synthetic oils in my transfer case and diffs as well as the tranny and change at 15000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first, if I do some serious 4WD, especially in water logged areas, I change it right after I am done with my off roading.

I have a Indian made G Wagen which does not have your Toyota's better quality seals so I am quite paranoid but it would be good to follow the 15000 miles synthetic fluid change. The towing package is a good idea, would only give you better insurance for your longevity.

Boaz - Jake: Thanks for the reply. When did you put the magnetic drain plug(s) in? I'm assuming you're doing "real" 4-wheeling as opposed to my wife's "AWD" type of driving, hence, the Amsoil gear lube?

I'll likely switch to that at 20K, at this point.

Gurkha - thanks also for the reply. Though I have no idea what a "G Wagen" is (and I've been reading Car & Driver and Autoweek for 20 years now), it must be tough on the components if you're draining synthetic gear lube every 15k!

dkryan,

Do a search in Google for either Trax Gurkha or Mercedes Gelande Wagen, plenty of links with photos.

I do my change frequently as I drive all over India and it has extremes of climates, areas with 55c heat, -35c cold as well as highest rainfall on earth and the cost of oil is way less than the cost of PUCH built, Made in Germany T case or MB build tranny and diff.

dkryan,

Do a search in Google for either Trax Gurkha or Mercedes Gelande Wagen, plenty of links with photos.

I do my change frequently as I drive all over India and it has extremes of climates, areas with 55c heat, -35c cold as well as highest rainfall on earth and the cost of oil is way less than the cost of PUCH built, Made in Germany T case or MB build tranny and diff.

Change the oil at 2,000 miles breakin wipes out the oil. do the differentials,transmission also. Then go on the factory recommended intervals.

Change them every year if you really care about keeping your driveline in it's best condition. Change them every 30,000 if you just want to do the minimum maintenance.

Definitely do a change if it has never been done, you want to get all of the suspended metal particles out from the wearing in of the gears, and that process is certain to be hard on the oil itself. After the first change you can take it easy.

So, most would agree that changing to a synthetic gear lube for the transfer case and differential at 5K would suit me well in the long run?

What about the intervals afterward? Every two years? Every 20K to 30K (no towing)?

20k or once a year is pretty safe. Of course I will recommend Amsoil Syn gear lube. Thats what I use.
I know a cheap way to get amsoil lubes if you want to use them.. PM me if you want that info.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back