94 toyota truck 5 speed manuel tranny. Mobile 1, 75-90 Full sysnthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys sorry for draggibg this up. I just put MOBILE 1 75-90 Fully synthetic, Gear oil in my tranny 5 speed manuel. Man does it shift better. But I have no owners manuel and I read a different post that some oils can attack the brass parts in certain Gear trains. This is what Mobile 1 has on there website.::

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90 meets the most severe API Service MT-1 and GL-5 EP gear oil service classification.

Can I keep this oil in there and everything be all right? this GL-4 and GL-5 stuff is confusing for this boy here.It came with standard 80-90 from the factory. And the last time I had it in the shop for a cluth job the guy put 50w in it,. I just serviced it myself 140,000 miles on this tranny and put the MOBILE 1 Fully sysnthetic in it. It shifts pretty nice . Its only been in there for a week now. Can someone please unconfuse me.I did call Toyota and the butthead just spouted that it takes 80-90 . I asked about the Gl-4 and GL-5 and it lost him. Just said again " it take 80-90 oil. " the only problem with the 80-90 it shifts kinda stiff. But shifts really good with this Mobile 1. LOL.... Thanks guys , Oiler.

This topic has been around the block a few times.
On the phone, the M1 reps HAVE to say it only can be used where GL5 is recommended.
People are using it in gearboxes with yellow metals, however [and racing teams] with no problems.
It isn't the best for synchro action, however.
Check out Specialty Formulations products. You'll have a better lube in all respects.

Well thanks for the reply. Im still dizzy from all this. Well how would valvoline semi synthetic or just a 50 w engine oil do. I haven't a clue to what A toyota manuel tranny even recommends , as far as GL4 or GL5. Anyone????? I spent $23 on the Mobile 1 and looks like I wasted that. Do I need to Flush the synthetic out? Have to say it sure shifts great with it. Alot better than standard Dino 80-90w. Sorry for the rant.... Oiler.

If Toyota simply specifies 80W-90 gear oil you should be completely fine using the Mobil-1 synthetic 75W-90. Do not worry about the 75W, it just means that the natural quality of the synthetic oil is that it does not thicken as much at low temperatures as a dino oil does.

It sounds like you are very happy with the Mobil-1 you put in there. It is a very good oil.

Don't worry about it!

John

I'd find out if Toyota recommends GL-4 or GL-5, and go with the recommended type in a 75W-90 synthetic.
Someone here will probably know what it should have.

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
I'd find out if Toyota recommends GL-4 or GL-5, and go with the recommended type in a 75W-90 synthetic.
Someone here will probably know what it should have.

Thanks for the reply guys. . Yeah I would really like to keep the Mobile 1 in there. I wasn't concerned with the weight of the oil , but just the Gl-4 or GL-5 rateing. I didn't want to have an Oil in there that might corrod up any brass parts over time. I'll put up another post on what a Toyota recommends. Thansk Oiler.

If it shifts good (Mobil 1 has caused poor shift quality for a few people), keep it! Every Toyota manual I've seen has said GL-4 OR GL-5.

Oiler,

If it shifts ok, then go with it, but most general differential lubes aren't optimized for synchro engagement which is why we developed the MTL-R.

from my experience and having 9 toyota's over the years, stay away from the 80-90. it gets real stiff when it cools down and will affect your synchro action. i have a 4 spd out of my 85 that the second gear synchro is now trashed using a brand name 80-90 gl5/gl4 capable lube. I have used the mobil 75-90 synth in several trans and diffs since and can say that it does well in cold but does not give the factory feel when shifting. I've tried the valvoline synth blend 80-90, valv 80-90 and the mobil 75-90 synth. guess which one failed me? save yourself the time and expense. the specialty formulation products sounds like a good option and from what the others have sd on this board and safe for your precious synchro's.removing the trans on the old trucks can be a pain. good luck..

regards,
mudd

quote:

Originally posted by muddawgs:
from my experience and having 9 toyota's over the years, stay away from the 80-90. it gets real stiff when it cools down and will affect your synchro action. i have a 4 spd out of my 85 that the second gear synchro is now trashed using a brand name 80-90 gl5/gl4 capable lube. I have used the mobil 75-90 synth in several trans and diffs since and can say that it does well in cold but does not give the factory feel when shifting. I've tried the valvoline synth blend 80-90, valv 80-90 and the mobil 75-90 synth. guess which one failed me? save yourself the time and expense. the specialty formulation products sounds like a good option and from what the others have sd on this board and safe for your precious synchro's.removing the trans on the old trucks can be a pain. good luck..

regards,
mudd

What do you actually use Mudd ? Or recommend? All I want is smooth is shifts and long life on my already old parts . Your correct. I put plain Dino 80-90 in it and it really was a struggle to shift. Thats why I changed it out and put in the MOBILE 1 Synthetic. But if thats not good on my synchro's then I guess I need to get it out also. Im just looking for something I can get at my local Auto parts stores if possible. Whats the story on this specialty formulation products a few people have mentioned. TIA WarDawg

Toyotas seem to have aggressive synchros - they bite well. That's why the M1 is working so well.
Shifting is fun when it works right!

the m1 is ok.. though not as smooth as the stock or original fluid that was in for 100k plus on some of the trucks i've had. finding local, the 75-90 dino seems to be hit and miss. the farm and fleet and big r has both in a few diff brands in the 75-90 that are supposed to be gl4 compatable and good for transmissions. coastal is available at the autozone too but i've never heard great things about that brand so i've never tried. the m1 seems to smooth out after a few min on the 86 that i have now and was the same in other toys that i've had. it worked ok but was definetely not the same. but lack of choice drove me to it.

i understand your frustration. if you feel the m1 is working fine then just watch and listen and go easy. my opinion is that it works well in the cold but doesnt seem to get that smooth feel that i've had before with the old factory fluid on many of the manual toys that i've had.

there have been many praises on this board for the redline and the Spec-formulations products. im currentlty using the factory fluid in my 99 taco with/28k on it and will probably order the spec-formulations product when i get ready to do it. toy trans dont come cheap even the used ones.i dont loose any sleep using the m1 in the trucks that i've had and sold. it worked fine and was available locally. just stay far and away of the 80-90 lubes in toys.

regards,
mudd

Thanks for the simplified answers and statement. Yeah everywhere I go it's 80-90 dino or the 80-140 dino. Or Mobile 1 synthetic. Have you ever tried the Valvoline semi synthetic? I IMed the SF folks and might just order the juice from them.Im waiting to see what they recommend. The MTL-R or the MTL-P . Choices again. Dern the Devil!!!!!!!!!! Thanks as always, Oiler

PS. Im getting ready to get me a 2005 Tacoma 4 door. Sweet looking truck. About 250 ponies... Can't wait .But Im keeping my 94 to commute in it and save the new truck for the weekends.

i've tried the valvoline synth blend and it performed just marginally better than the reg 80-90..
the new toys appear to be nice trucks with a full composite bed. i've allready heard of issues with the bed and cracks from using toppers,off roading, heavy loads and strapping down stuff. from what i've heard toyota has denied responsiblity on all. the bed should be able to take on all without issue within reason of course. if it was me i'd wait a year or so and see what happens with these and the fuel costs. there getting pretty much what they ask on these trucks around here with no or little insentives. my 99 taco is supercharged with several fuel mods. id dont know what the power is but its more than enough to have some heads turn. thats another story though. good luck..

regards,
mudd

Thanks for the Toyota 2005 feed back. I will deffinently check into the bed issues. Cheers Oiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back