Transmission fluid drain & re-fill '97 Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
According to the info found here: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supplier/quickref.asp using Mercon V in a Mercon application is a big
nono.gif

What say you on the subject, darkdan?

darkdan is correct. Jerry Wroblewski, one of the Ford transmission engineers who designed the 4R70W, says that Mercon V is not only acceptable, it's actually preferred, IN THIS TRANSMISSION ONLY. He goes on to caution against using Mercon V in place of Mercon for other applications, specifically mentioning the Taurus as an example.

*EDIT* Forgot to include the link.

[ February 03, 2005, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: RF Overlord ]

I promise I'm not trying to stir up trouble; I just want to reiterate that FORD says Mercon & Mercon V should NOT be mixed.
nono.gif
My 1997 Ford Expedition uses MERCON, not Mercon V.

I also understand that there is likely no difference in my tranny & the one that was used in the '98 Expeditions, which use Mercon V.

While it may be true that I COULD use Mercon V in my tranny, there's not a snowball's chance that I'm going to risk it. My tranny's dipstick, my owners manual & FORD all say to use Mercon in my '97 model, so that's what I'm going to use.

Wellllllll, I got curious & called my local Ford Dealer (Woody Anderson in Huntsville) & spoke with the service dept. writer. He told me that with the exception of very old Fords that use Type "F", all vehicles that come in their shop for transmission work gets Mercon V, even if it was originally filled with Mercon.

He recommended I use Mercon V in my 97 Expedition & said it wouldn't hurt a thing. So, I guess I'll retract my "snowball" statement from my last post.

quote:

My tranny's dipstick, my owners manual & FORD all say to use Mercon in my '97 model, so that's what I'm going to use.

Wayne: I'm not arguing with you, but your dipstick and your owner's manual were made BEFORE Mercon V was invented (and before the TCC shudder problem was identified), and Ford HAS retroactively approved Mercon V for this use.

While you absolutely CAN use plain Mercon, just remember that you MAY have shudder problems and you WILL have to change it more often than if you use Mercon V.

quote:

Thanks guys!. The link to the DIY is awesome!
smile.gif
I will be doing this in the spring.

QUESTION:
Have any of you guys ever drilled & tapped the tranny pan (with it off the vehicle of course) to install a magnetic drain plug/washer?

I understand why auto manufacturers DON'T put drain plugs on transmissions, but it sure would be easier to drain the fluid if the pan didn't have to be dropped.

I recently replaced the pan on my 01 Mustang which has the 4R70W with what a Ford parts guy called the "export" version. It is the same exact pan but, has a drain. It cost me $55 but, it has made the chore of tranny fluid changes much easier and much less messy.

The part number was F8UZ-7A194-AA. I also got a new re-usable gasket for it F2VY-7A191-A. While you are in there I would replace the filter. Cheap insurance.

Not sure if the 4R70W uses the same pan in the Expy but, logic tells me Ford wouldn't use a different pan unless they needed extra capacity and the link posted above indicates the capacity is the same so I bet the pan is as well.

-

[ February 06, 2005, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Bobio ]

Got that pan on my lincoln mark VIII that drain plug is awesome. I have been using mercon V for 4 years and it is a 1994 4r70w no problems at all.

quote:

My '97 Expedition specifies Mercon, not Mercon V.

Mercon V supercedes Merc in all 4R70W transmissions. DarkDan does know what he is talking about and does have "1000" friends.

quote:

Is there an easy, idiot friendly way to tell if my '97 Expedition's tranny fluid really needs to be changed? When I checked it the other day, it was still a bright red color & didn't look dirty at all.

Yes! Every 30k miles drop pan, drain TQ, new filter install, then refill with MERC V.

My '96 Vic with same trans had good oil color and did not smell burnt or feel gritty. Had flushed with Merc V at 70k in 2000 without pan drop. At 138k miles in Dec 2004, I droped the pan, and drained the TQ. Oil looked darker draining than it did on the stick. Plus the magnet had a ton of grey goop on it.

Refilled with Merc V again.

I never had shudder problems and hopefully never will.

How many miles wavinwayne does your Expedition have?

You said it was flushed but no mention of filter change.

quote:

How many miles wavinwayne does your Expedition have? You said it was flushed but no mention of filter change.

108k miles on the Expedition. AFAIK, the filter has never been changed. Precision Tune (now out of business) did the transmission flush/fill @65K in '01 & the Ford dealer replaced a shift solenoid @85k in '02.

I don't have either work order anymore & I don't remember if the filter was changed when Ford worked on it.

[ February 12, 2005, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back