Synthetic Mercon/Dexron III vs. Mercon V>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Purple offers a synthetic ATF, that is rated for Mercon/Dexron III apps. Mercon V is a semi-synthetic blend, that comes as a factory fill now, for certain Ford models. Of course, many labels now offer it for sale. Ford advises it can (and should be) retroed to earlier models.

I called Royal Purple, and asked if they were going to market a Mercon V. They said "due to licencing legalities" they would not be. They further stated, that a full-synthetic Mercon/Dexron III, should be superior to a Mercon V blend.

I'm still not sure what "licencing legalities" means?
pat.gif
Any ideas welcomed!

quote:

Originally posted by ULVER:
I called Royal Purple, and asked if they were going to market a Mercon V. They said "due to licencing legalities" they would not be. They further stated, that a full-synthetic Mercon/Dexron III, should be superior to a Mercon V blend.

I'm still not sure what "licencing legalities" means?
pat.gif
Any ideas welcomed!

If Ford licenses the phrase "Mercon V" the way GM licenses the word "DexCool" or Daimler Chrysler the phrase "ATF+3", then even if the ATF meets the Mercon V spec, they could not label it "Mercon V" without buying a license.

What they might do is say "recommended for transmissions calling for Mercon V" or words to that effect.

Exxon Mobil has a Mercon V Synthetic Blend that satisfies Ford's Mercon V specification, Ford Mercon, and General Motors’ Dexron-III and Dexron II specifications. They also say it's "suitable for use in both newer and older Chrysler applications where ATF+3 or ATF+4 is recommended".

Chrysler doesn't license the ATF+4 designation.

Mobil does make a full synthetic, Mobil 1 ATF. Their newer formulations, like the Mercon V fluid, are synthetic blends.

Mercon and Dexron are registered trademarks and in order to offer a fluid that purports to be 'Mercon' or 'Dexron'-approved, one must license the specification.

Its no different than, say, Dex-Cool. One could probably brew up a batch of coolant in their garage similar to Dex-Cool, but in order to call it 'Dex-Cool coolant', you need the official authorization of GM.

Here is an explanation from Infineum Insight magazine of Sept. 2004:

quote:

Ford has announced the release of its new Mercon, Mercon-V, and Mercon-SP automatic transmission qualification procedures and specifications requirements which were effective from July 1 2004. The new qualification procedures have been published but, at the time of going to press, the specification requirements have not been issued.

The major changes are as follows:

- Each production site will be required to to hold a separate Mercon license number for each formulation.

- Testing for original fluid approvals will remain the same, with some additional testing requirements on the first commercial production batch.

- Testing for reblend fluid approvals has changed. License numbers will be issued prior to commercial production. Once production has started, reblend testing will be done on the first commercial batch.

By the first renewal date after July 1 2004, the license holder must supply Ford with a list of all facilities that produce the fluid and designate one facility as a primary production site. Then, by the first renewal date after July 1 2005, the licens holder must submit reblend data for every production site.

So Ford apparently wants to have more QC control and reporting for license holders.

It's also important to understand that the base lube stocks are only one part of the equation. Mercon V, as well as other highly proprietary ATFs, contain specific types of shift and torque converter lockup enhancing friction modifiers customized to the specific characteristics of the clutch and brake band facings the manufacturer chose. Running a "universal" fluid such as DEXRON III may not be good over the long haul unless the fluid is specifically licensed as a MERCON V, too. Even "lowly" SuperTech Multi-Transmission fluid is licensed as MERCON V. If WallyWorld takes the effort for its $2.59/qt juice, where does that put Royal Purple? Consider yourself lucky that you have brand choices. Most other proprietary AT fluids are only available through stealership parts counters - you know, where the guy behind the counter wears an eyepatch and greets you with, "Aye, what be it for ye, t'day, matey?"

Walmart isn't an oil producer. Its easy for a company to relabel a product under any XYZ brand and keep its so-called licensing.

I thinks its great that the OEMs spec certain requirements. Force the OTC/generic/discount oil companies to produce better fluids. But, the synthetic boutique oil companies have been producing better fluids for years.

Why force everyone to pay kickbacks? Its a free country and if a company doesn't want big brother breathing down their neck, they'll produce a fluid and let word of mouth/testimonials do the advertising.

For the Mercon V spec, hi&lo temp performance is better than Mercon/Dexron fluids. Plus, the friction characteristics must remain relatively the same throughout the fluid life, and does not necessarily mean that it is an HFM fluid. TC lockup and normal trans band/clutch slippage also need to be shudder free(mild HFM?).

RoyalPurple is a synthetic. It shouldn't have any problems dealing with higher and lower temperatures. If you have any shifting issues or TC shudder, add a fluid modifier.
Remember to reset the ECU/TCU after ATF flushes. This allows the TCU to relearn the shift timings with the new fluid. Some cars will need a dealer/autozone/scantool type reset. Others might get away with the battery left disconnected overnight.

unDummy wrote:
quote:

Remember to reset the ECU/TCU after ATF flushes. This allows the TCU to relearn the shift timings with the new fluid. Some cars will need a dealer/autozone/scantool type reset. Others might get away with the battery left disconnected overnight.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I'm not a mechanic, so I don't understand what you said.

Please explain this in plain english, please.
smile.gif

Many Ford vehicles that require Mercon V have an "adaptive learning strategy" built into the PCM. Removing the battery cable will reset the PCM, and it will start 'relearning' all over again. It will also relearn over the next 70 or so driving cycles; even without a PCM reset.

Smart cars, indeed!
grin.gif

If you switch to a synthetic ATF, then follow what TheLoneRanger and unDummy said. I flushed with Amsoil ATF and the shifting was smooth but sloppy and "all over the place" in a way, as if it did not know the correct timing/RPMs/speed/etc in which to shift. So I disconnected the battery for a couple of hours and it has gone back to it's normal shift points.

Good points, all.

I recently did a complete ATF exchange using Mobil's latest Mobil 1 Mercon V fluid and noticed the same bizarre characteristics of what you describe.

Seem to be settling down now, though. Shift points are not as erratic.

Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back