Synthetic transmission fluid for cold weather??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the advise on my engine oil question. Now I am wondering if I should put in synthetic transmission fluid when I loan my 88 Ford Festiva to someone in Edmonton this winter. It can get to 40 below. My first concern is that it will start, and I intend to us synthetic engine oil, a battery warmer, and probably an engine/block heater of some sort. I'm guessing that the transmission fluid consistency is pretty much irrelevant to starting ease, but related to initial driveability. Is it worth worrying about> Thanks

Is it a stick? What does it run, ATF or gear oil? My saturn standards run ATF; one has mobil one synthetic the other regular dexron. The M1 is better (easier to move the shifter lever) at -15'F and below. So, yes, do it! What's your sump, two quarts maybe? Not that expensive.

No reason not to use synthetic Mercon ATF in any case. It'll work better than conventional ATF, and be much better in the cold. The cost of 3 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF is not significant.

Ken

It's a FWD 5-speed, and the book calls for 2.6 quarts of MERCON antomatic transmission fluid in the manual transaxle.

darkdan,

With your experience, would you say that synthetic oil is a workable alternative to a block heater for a vehicle used once a week in your coldest weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back