ATF+4 Recommendations? ('99 Dodge Durango 5.9l 4x4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good ATF+4 fluids for a '99 Durango and why? Mine has ~55K miles and neither the AT or transaxle have been changed yet. Guess it is about time.

Also, can anyone confirm that the transaxle uses ATF and not gear oil? I would have thought that it would use gear oil.

Any help appreciated!

Scott

IIRC, atf+4 is only available from a dealership.
frown.gif

Well the ATF+4 is pretty good stuff. I like Redline C+ATF. I ran it in a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab SLT+ 4x4 4.7V8.

If you're still under the powertrain warranty, stick with the Mopar fluid and keep receipts. DaimlerChrysler's known to be very picayune where expensive warranty claims are concerned.

Can any Amsoil reps please PM me with a price on the Amsoil Synthetic ATF (Chrysler ATF+4 compatible, code: ATF), quantity 15 quarts, shipped to Memphis, TN, zip code 38133?

Thanks!

Scott

quote:

Originally posted by Scott:
Can any Amsoil reps please PM me with a price on the Amsoil Synthetic ATF (Chrysler ATF+4 compatible, code: ATF), quantity 15 quarts, shipped to Memphis, TN, zip code 38133?

Thanks!

Scott

Be sure to add a couple of extra quarts beyond what you need for the capacity because you will lose at least one when trying to flush out the torque converter. Hopefully you will have enough left to replenish the power steering if yours uses atf.

Just done a fluid and filter change on my 99 Dodge 1500. I used Amsoil Universal ATF, it is ATF-4 compatible. Cost some where around $8 a quart straight from the Amsoil rep. The truck has 85k miles on it, and I have been using Amsoil ATF since 30k miles.

With a filter swap and drain you will need some where around 6 to 8 quarts. Also the Dodge transmission does not have a drain plug on the pan. It's a good idea to add one.

Be very carefull flushing fluid out of torque converter, do not allow the tranny to run low on fluid.

According to the owner's manual, the AT holds 10.1 liters (~11 quarts) plus the transfer case (due for a change @ ~55K miles) holds 1.35 liters (~2 quarts), total 13 quarts plus 2 quarts "just in case".
smile.gif
Maybe I should add another 1-2 "just in case" quarts?

Thanks for the input!

Scott

PS. Any Amsoil reps out there? I had seen a price of ~$7.70 per quart direct from Amsoil (plus shipping), but thought I'd check here before buying because I want to support bobistheoilguy.com supporters/participants.

quote:

Am I reading this correctly? It seems that this AMSOIL product is ATF+4 compatible. IT soudns like this will be OK. Can someone with experience confirm this product will work.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html
Thanks!

Scott

Just make sure you get a WRITTEN warranty from Amsoil stating that they will replace your transmission when it craps out from using this fluid. FACT: There are NO aftermarket ATFs that meet Chrysler 9602 (ATF+4) specs.

Scott,

The Amsoil synthetic ATF works extremely well in these ATF +4 applications. That not an uninformed opinion, rather it's based on years of actual experience in Chrysler minivans, LH Sedans and Dodge diesel pickups used to pull heavy fifth wheel trailers. My recommendation in ALL transmission applications is to run the OEM fluid for the first 30,000 miles, in order to make sure the transmission is mechanically sound. Then do a complete fluid change w/ the Amsoil ATF,including dropping the pan and installing a new filter screen. Do this every 100k miles and the transmission should outlast the body of the vehicle ....

I have several relatives running this fluid in Dodge/Chrysler vehicles - if there were any problems, I'm sure I'd hear about them ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

As Molakule says, read the allpar site before playing with universal fluids. There is no such thing as one fluid for all types of clutch and band materials and designs. Each fluid has it's own friction characteristic. If you want to see a report on some of these and the additives, email me and I will forward it.
Any fluid will get you 90,000 miles or so (with changes), but if you want to see 200,000 or more, use the right fluid. You might put a universal type fluid in it and never notice the different shift characteristics (many people aren't that observant), but the damage will be done so slowly that it can't legally be blamed on one fluid change.

Amsoil and their additive supplier jointly developed this universal fluid five to six years ago. There are tens of thousands of folks using it all through North America with excellent long term results. The fluid has been extensively bench and field tested are NO durability issues with this fluid, period. I feel entirely comfortable recommending it for Chrysler transmissions under warranty ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Am I reading this correctly? It seems that this AMSOIL product is ATF+4 compatible. IT soudns like this will be OK. Can someone with experience confirm this product will work.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atf.html
Thanks!

Scott

Just make sure you get a WRITTEN warranty from Amsoil stating that they will replace your transmission when it craps out from using this fluid. FACT: There are NO aftermarket ATFs that meet Chrysler 9602 (ATF+4) specs.

X2!!!!!!!!!

STICK WITH ATF+4!!!! IT IS A SYNTHETIC!!! DON'T TRY AND SAVE A FEW BUCKS!!!! GET THE FLUID THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR THAT TRANSMISSION!!!! THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR ATF+4!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back